Friday, April 6, 2007

Creative Vegetarian Lasagna

This is my favorite way of utilizing leftover veggies! That's why I call it "creative" – practically anything can go in, in any proportions, and it's still good. I just look into my refrigerator, and when I see I have some veggies that are not so fresh anymore, or I'm just not sure what to do with them, I chop them, toss them into a large pot and sautee with some olive or canola oil until almost soft. Today, it was:

1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 small eggplants
1 large zucchini
1 large red pepper
1 tomato

Of course, I also added salt, pepper, paprika, some garlic and aromatic herbs. Eventually the layers went like this (in a rectangular baking tray):

* A layer of pasta
* A layer of veggies
* Some cottage cheese on top of veggies (leftover, too. I sometimes use sour cream)
* Another layer of pasta
* Another layer of veggies
* And some grated cheese on top. I like a generous amount of cheese!
The whole thing then went into the oven (350F/180C) for around 1 hour. And here's the final result:

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Yummy! This looks very delicious, and sounds healthy, too. Wishing you a blessed Sabbath!

Anna S said...

Thank you Tracy! I've been vegetarian for many years now, so I learned to love all sorts of veggies and experiment with them.

Christie Belle said...

Ohhh, yummy! I like generous amounts of cheese too! I'm a veggie lover, so I would probably like this one:)

Sheri said...

What a yummy idea! Next time we have lots of leftover veggies, I'm trying it out for sure. Thanks Anna. And, if I don't blog with you again before Sunday, have a blessed Easter!

Jordin said...

This looks GREAT! I love lasagna and vegetables, so I'll have to try this one!

Glamour Mom said...

I just love your creativity! There is definitely no reason to waste any kind of "displaced" food from our refrigerators. There is always something that can be made with them.

I too love throwing things together to use up what I have sometimes. This recipe looks very delicious. I think I will have to buy some eggplant next time I go grocery shopping so that I can give your recipe a try...can't wait!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes :)

Anna S said...

Thanks everyone! If anyone tries that one out, I'd love some feedback. :P

Shalomyall42 said...

This is delicious at Pesach, too. Omit the pasta and, instead, break a few matzoh into strips. Run the strips under hot water to soften, then use them in place of the pasta noodles in this recipe.

Thank you for you delightful "blog".