Sunday, April 29, 2007

Second-class citizens?

Yesterday, as I opened a newspaper page, I came across an article titled 'Second-class citizens?'
It was short, but what a perfect example of feministic propaganda! Here's a quote from it:

"Equal opportunities for men and women exist only on paper. While women constitute about 50% of the workforce, 38% of working women, compared to only 17% of men, work part-time. Women are forced to work part-time because they have to do duties at home and take care of children."

When I read this, I felt like facing the author (who, by the way, chose to remain anonymous) and say, "Excuse me?"
This short paragraph portrays home and children as some kind of nuisance, an obstacle which stands in the way to some glorious career and doesn't allow a woman to devote herself to working full-time and doing "important things".

I really think this should be rephrased. How about:
"Women choose to work part-time because they want to have more time to take care of their children and their duties at home"?
I could also add:
"Many women work because they feel they have to, but would rather be home, taking care of their household and children. They try to work part-time, at least, and make most of the hours they do have at home."

And no, dear author, they don't feel like second-class citizens.

7 comments:

Candy said...

Amen! :) I agree with you! Well said Anna :)

Tracy said...

That article would have infuriated me. I wonder why they chose to write anonymously...

Anna S said...

Tracy,
I didn't mention it in my post, but this article also lamented the rates of "unemployment" among women, which are higher than men's rate of unemployment. Of course, keepers at home like yourself are also defined as "unemployed"...

Tracy said...

Anna,
That's actually funny. When my husband is asked if his wife "works" he exclaims, "She works harder than I do in a day!" I think that this is so sweet! He works 12-14 hour days, and yet praises me for what I do at home. What a sweet man...

Anna S said...

Tracy,
You are so blessed and fortunate to have a husband who appreciates your important role and praises you for dedicating yourself to it!

Coffee Wife said...

Unemployed?!?!? Ok, that is just too funny! Do they think we Stay-At-Home women lounge about on a divan eating bon bons?? (I wish hahahaha!!)

Anna S said...

Michelle,
I used to work as a secretary once and when my boss wasn't there (to yell at me and demand a cup coffee every 15 minutes), I'd sit for HOURS on my bum and be bored. But I never run out of things to do at home.

I do wish the author of this article (who didn't have the decency to state her name and face what she asked for) could join me for just one day. Or better, you, with your farm and your sheep!! I think THAT would make her go silent for a while.