Monday, April 30, 2007

Vinegar - old-fashioned cleaning

Last week I had a major project of thoroughly washing and shining all the windows. This was the first time I tried using vinegar.
First, I washed the windows with soapy water, then wiped it away and washed again with regular clear water. It left the windows pretty much clean, but not very shiny.

For shiny windows, I made a solution of 2\3 water and 1\3 vinegar. I sprayed my windows with this solution, wiped it off with a clean cloth and then polished with some old newspapers.

I've read about this method on one of the frugal living websites I found through Google. I wish I could remember which, so I'd give them the credit! Anyway, I was very pleased, for a number of reasons:

1. It worked better than any commerical spray I tried before.

2. It's cheaper than any spray I could find, even with all the spring discounts on cleaning agents.

3. Minimizing contact with chemicals is better for our health and for the environment.

Anyway, I became a real vinegar fan now! Looking forward for more cleaning tips from you.

9 comments:

Mrs.B. said...

I have to say I'm quite pleased with Windex but have heard great things about using the newspapers and vinegar as well.

I use vinegar as a fabric softener in my laundry. It works great and no your clothes do not smell like vinegar. (o:

Anna S said...

Mrs. B,
This is the first time I hear about vinegar being used as a fabric softener! I wonder how exactly it is done (only hand wash, or washing machine too?), and how much of it should be used?

Jordin said...

When we get married, I'll be trying my hand at vinegar, too! I already have the bottles filled up with homemade cleaning solutions. I've grown up with Windex, Pledge, etc., so it's tough getting used to smelling that vinegar when I clean! It works beautifully, though--and it's much less expensive. :)

Anna S said...

Jordin,
I was a bit concerned about the smell at first, too, but the 1\3 vinegar solution isn't too bad. And it fades pretty quickly.

PandaBean said...

I know this is coming quite a bit later than when you posted, but I'm reading through all your older posts. I simply wanted to comment that a blackboard eraser works just as well as newspapers. I don't get a paper and therefore found something else that works just as well. This way you don't have to buy a paper especially for cleaning your windows! :)

God Bless!

Anna S said...

Pandabean:

Thanks for the tip! Because we buy plenty of newspapers anyway, I have enough to use for window-cleaning. A great way to get rid of old newspapers, too!

PS: Vinegar is also excellent for shining taps and sinks. I should post a picture of my shiny taps sometime.

Alexandra said...

We do the same...great tip! I can answer the vinegar question. We use 2 cups of vinegar for a large load. So far I've only used it with the diapers. It not only softens the clothes, but gets out any remaining detergent.

I think it's a PH thing...maybe because the detergent is chemically basic, the acidic vinegar brings up the ph? Not sure, but it works well.

Tami said...

I just started cleaning with vinegar and I love using it. I don't use it for 'deep' cleaning, but use it several times a week to go over the bathroom counters, faucets, toilet, etc... It costs pennies and I much prefer it over bleach water.

When my five year old comes in after I've cleaned he invariable says, "Mom it smells like potato chips!" (referring to oil and vinegar flavored potato chips)

elena rulli said...

Hello, I've been reading through your old posts for a while and I think it is one of the best blogs I've ever found in the Net!
I'm not a religious person, yet I find peace and contentedness when reading of how you are building a full and happy existence out of the frenzy and mostly inhuman rhythms of contemporary society. I have similar plans for my life, too, so it's encouraging to see another woman's success in this matter. That said, I would like to go back to the vinegar usage tips to give you a modest advice: try to use it to get rid of those unpleasant smells that sometimes stay in the kitchen sink after washing pots where you cooked eggs or strong flavoured dishes. It works wonderfully and you don't have to use aggressive chemical products.
Whishing you all the best from life
Elena