Friday, May 11, 2007

How We Spend Our Days

Some time ago, I came across a really nice blog – and then my computer unexpectedly turned itself off. I didn't save the link. I don't even remember what it was called. What a shame!

I do remember it featured one quote that spoke to my heart (again, I have no idea where it was from, and forgive me if it's inaccurate). It went like this: "How we spend our days is ultimately how we spend our lives".

And it got me thinking – how do we spend our days? More often than not, doing normal everyday things – doing household duties and looking after our family; occasionally, reading a book, meeting a friend or some other activity.

Then it hit me. I'm spending and going to spend a big part of my life shopping, cleaning, cooking meals, washing the dishes, and – if God has it in plans for me – staying up late at night and changing diapers. I can be efficient and save some time while doing it, but it will still be a major part of my schedule every day.

How often, I asked myself, do I rush during my morning prayers because I want to hurry up and do things as quickly as possible? And when I start doing what needs to be done, how often do I walk around with a sour face and grumble?

… That means I spend a significant amount of time in unnecessary hurry and with very little joy in my heart. This is how I spend my days, meaning – this is how I spend my life. What a waste!

I decided I am going to do my best to be more joyful while I do simple everyday things, try to enjoy doing them – as much as possible - and take more time to do each of them. Sing while you're cleaning, Anna, I told myself. :-)

I can't say I will never feel tired or frustrated again, but developing a positive attitude sure works! No, the pile of dishes in the sink will not start washing itself and the laundry will not automatically become clean and dry, but does it mean I shouldn't feel contented?

8 comments:

Becky said...

Anna, I think I can help. The blog you may be referring to is Karen at "Over the Backyard Fence". Here is her URL. You will have to cut and paste since it won't come out as a link. Enjoy!

http://overbackyardfence.blogspot.com/

And thank you for the advice on the strong smells for keeping the cats away. It is so strange for us to see the cats in our yard after so many years with Abby guarding us and keeping us safe :)

Have a wonderful weekend. It was good to visit with you again. I love what you had to say today.

Christie Belle said...

Very good point, I'm guilty of grumbling and mumbling over housework, so this was a nice reminder of how we should view things such as this!

Emily said...

Indeed Anna, we should find joy and contentment in all that we do. Ecclesiastes 5:18 speaks of this:

‘Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him — for this is his lot.’

Amen! I pray that you find great satisfaction in all that God has called you to do.

In His care, Emily

Anna S said...

Becky - thank you so much for the link!

Christie Belle and Emily - thanks for visiting.

Karen said...

Hi, Anna. Thanks for stopping by my place. I'm glad you found the quote by Annie Dillard meaningful. It isn't easy to find pleasure in the mundane things, but it sure makes life lovelier when we can! I've enjoyed reading through your posts. I'll be back!

PandaBean said...

As I've said before, I'm slowly working my way through your previous posts.

I suggest reading some on "The Little Way" I think it's St Terese of Lisieux? It's one of the "Teresa"s anyway. It pretty much sums up to "If I can do the least little thing, even picking up a pin, for the Glory of God,..." something something. Grrr, I have no memory for such things and I pray constantly about it. :)

Anna S said...

PandaBean,

I think I understand what you mean... little things and little joys do matter, don't they?

Tereza said...

I agree and that kind of living brings much joy!