Monday, May 21, 2007

If God has no authority

I love blogging and exchanging ideas with all the amazing ladies (and gentlemen) who visit my little corner. I love your encouragement and wit, your thoughtful and intelligent remarks. Yet from time to time, I get response that makes me happy I have comment moderation.

Sometimes these are plain insults ('you are stupid'). I ignore that. But recently, I received a comment (to my post about masculine leadership and feminism) that simply made me say 'huh?' – I didn't post it, because it was worded rather aggressively and contained personal ventures against me.

What left me in a state of puzzlement was that the author claimed she believes in God – but not that He has any authority over her life, or that His commandments are anything more than a mere suggestion. She also let me know how backward and narrow-minded I am, living my life by an ancient, outdated book. "I don't believe in the bible. I don't need it… It's trash. I threw it out long ago and never looked back and never been happier."

I know I have readers of different faiths here and I'm not going to open this blog for religious debate. But every religion I know is built upon authority and guidance.

If God has no authority, you let your desires be your God.

If God doesn't guide you, you let yourself be guided by your lusts.

If God has no control over you, you let your ambitions control you.

… You make yourself your own God.
Sadly, this is not uncommon. And let me tell you something, in my opinion it's no better than worshipping the Golden Calf.

13 comments:

Tracy said...

Anna,

I think that you hit the nail right on the head. If God is not in control, then what makes him God. Nonsense! People DO make themselves into a god constantly. I want to do this, I think this... The Bible is our source for telling us what GOD thinks and wants.

I love the look of your blog. It's very peaceful!

AnneK said...

Good stuff!

Haus Frau said...

This person's life is in desperate need of Jesus Christ.

**breathing prayer heavenward**

Stand firm, Anna. What you share is piercing souls and is right on.

Bless you this day...

Haus Frau said...

btw, I featured this post in my blog today. Hope that's okay.

Anna S said...

I don't mind at all! Thank you for featuring my post.

Sheri said...

Very true my dear sister in the Lord. Thank you for sharing... And, unfortunately, I think many Believers and un-believers are worshipping golden cows today.

Keep sharing "His Truth" unashamedly Anna!

And, I really like your new blog look. Very pretty!

Christie Belle said...

Oh, you are so right on with this. This woman seems very lost and confused. Good for you for standing strong.

Isn't comment moderation grand, I'm glad I haven't run across these types of comments yet, but I'm sure that one day, I will.

Becky said...

You put it very well Anna. God bless you as you fight the good fight in the Army of the Lord.

Mrs.B. said...

Yes, I'm quite thankful for comment moderation.

And what you said is spot on!

Candy said...

Keep standing up for your faith Anna. You are doing a great job with your blog and it obviously stirred something in that person :) and I believe thats actually a good thing.
Hugs to you today,
Candy :)

Pam said...

Excellent post! Such wisdom from one so young. I linked over from haus frau and am so happy I took her recommendation to do so. May God continur to bless you!

UltraCrepidarian said...

Bingo. You're pretty smart. How old did you say you were again? :-)

+W+

Anna S said...

Warren,

I think it's even somewhere in the description of my blog :) I'm 21.