Thursday, May 24, 2007

Strawberry jam!

I had lots of fun today making strawberry jam! I wish you could smell the wonderful aroma that is coming from our kitchen right now. I've left the strawberries to cool off, and in a couple of hours I'll give them another round... mmm! We're going to have lots of yummy, home-made jam soon!

PS: Here's how we make the jam:

1. Take strawberries and sugar in approximately 1:1 proportion (I took 1 kilo strawberries and 1 kilo sugar)

2. Put a layer of strawberries in a pot, top with some sugar, then a layer of strawberries and a layer of sugar again, until you're out of sugar and berries. Leave overnight.

3. Cook the berries&sugar for several minutes, until boiling, but don't let it boil for a long time if you want to have whole berries; turn off the fire and let it cool down. After several hours, repeat the procedure. When you repeat it for 3-4 times, the jam will gradually become less liquid.

4. When you decide it's the last time you're going to let the jam boil, squeeze a fresh lemon into it. This will prevent your jam from becoming dark.

I don't use any pectin, so it's still more liquid than commercial jams, but it's still delicious! And of course you can make jam from pretty much anything - apricots, plums, pears, you name it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna- It looks wonderful! I have a small strawberry patch of my own, and can't wait to start making things with the fruit. It's the best!!

Brenda

Anna S said...

Hi Brenda, and thanks for all your wonderful comments on my blog! Isn't homemade jam the bestest? ;)

Sheri said...

I have never made jam. Is it hard? It looks delicious Anna!

Country Rosebud said...

The picture brings back Memories! My family and I used to make strawberry jam together, as a household event. We used to go to the strawberry farms, and pick as many flats of strawberries as we could, and then put half of them into jam, and then the other half into the freezer, for smoothies, and strawberry rhubarb dumplings! It was a major family affair!
Anyway, it sure brings back the memories. Mmmmm, I love the smell of those strawberries!:)

PandaBean said...

"Bestest" :D

I learned to make strawberry jam last year with my G-ma. She picks strawberries herself every year, and she's 84! It's always been a treat to go and pick berries with her, strawberries in June and blueberries in July. Berries always taste the best fresh off the bush, all warm from the sunshine. God is so awesome that He gives us so many wonderful things: berries, sunshine, G-mas, etc. Praise and glory to His name!

Tracy said...

Mmmmmmmm...

Jordin said...

Yummy! Strawberry jam is SO good! At one of my bridal showers, a little girl gave me a jar of jam that she made by herself! I've never made it, but it must not be too complicated... :)

Anna S said...

Sheri,

Making jam is not difficult at all! It does take some time, but there's nothing too complicated about it. I'll edit the post and add my method of jam-making, in case you want to try!

Christie Belle said...

Oh, Strawberry Jam is my all time favorite, especially when it's homemade! I haven't had homemade in a looooong time. I think it's about time!

Candy said...

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU! Im going to make it!!! We love jam here :)

Anna S said...

Good luck! :)

Emily said...

Looks lovely Anna! It's funny how certain words mean different things in British/American English - "jam" in the UK is the same as "jelly" in the US (I'm sure you knew that anyway!). Speaking of which, I might go make myself a peanut butter and jam sandwich ;)

Anna S said...

Jam or jelly, doesn't matter as long as it's nice and homemade and smells wonderful! :)

megan stevens said...

Yummy that jelly looks soo good! Can you explain how to can it please? After its done cooking do I put it straight into a jar? Thank you so much for your time!