Saturday, June 30, 2007

God’s blessings

Not long ago, I came across the beautiful Eyes of Wonder blog, by a lovely lady who is the joyful mother of 10 treasured children and grandma to 1 precious grandchild. Her youngest child and very first grandchild are only 2 months apart! Now, how cool is that? She shares many beautiful photos of her home and family in their everyday soothing, simple life. I would like to thank Sherry from Lula’s Hardt for sharing the link! Sherry mentioned it after my post about dressing modestly during the summer, thinking I might want to take some tips from there.

I did love the way girls and women in that family dress. It seems they make most of their clothes themselves, and they look so pretty, modest, feminine and comfortable. But more than that, I love just taking the peak into their everyday life.

As an only child, I always wondered what life in a large family would be like. In our extended family, no one had more than 2 children. I often heard statements like for example, if you have ‘more children than you can afford’, it means you’re ‘depriving all of them’. Because if a child isn’t showered with expensive toys and taken on vacation every year he is, naturally, deprived! Something even more ridiculous is the opinion that, ‘it’s unfair to give older children the responsibility to take care of younger ones’!

Teaching children they should be responsible is unfair? Educating children in the spirit of patience, giving and sharing towards their siblings makes them feel deprived? I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t make any sense to me. My grandmother had 5 brothers and a sister, and not even once I heard her complain about how there wasn’t enough for everyone as they were growing up. Now we see children who have no siblings at all, or only one sibling, yet they complain all the time about not having those expensive brand-name jeans. What should it tell anyone who has a bit of common sense? Obviously, that things won’t make children happier. But somehow, people insist that having more, bigger and better is the path to bliss.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for steering me to the Eyes of Wonder blog, Anna. I really enjoyed browsing through the photos. I love the way the Mom dresses her little kids......the brown suede booties with the striped tights just made me smile!!

My husband grew up as one of 12 children. He was the second oldest. He's never talked of feeling deprived of amything; I'm sure there were some leaner times, but one doesn't have to have a lot of children for that to happen.
Sometimes I think the most creative use of time & resources can be seen in larger families, & most people could learn a lot from them.

Brenda

Mrs. H said...

Thank you for the link! I only got to look at a little bit of it so far, but they seem like a charming family.

I came from a family of 8 children, myself. I can tell you that in spite of the fact that we were poor, even by a small family's standards, we never lacked for anything. I think people tend to forget that the Lord provides. Once, our father had pneumonia, and couldn't work for several months. Our mother had just had her 7th baby, and couldn't do anything but take care of him (some health issues). However, we lacked for nothing. Someone payed our bills, no idea who, and Taco Bell generously provided our food. We had the loveliest meat pies twice a day for months and never tired of them.

The only regrets my parents have it that they didn't have more. I wouldn't trade my siblings for all the "stuff" in the world.

Autumn said...

Well, I have three siblings. It isn't a problem. OUr family isn't huge, but it it is considered big by the rest of the world. It has never been a problem. We found out fast that if we really want brand name jeans, we buy them ourselves. So, having lots of siblings is great because you have lots of friends, And it teaches responsibility. =)

Autumn said...

Oh, and I hope that the LORD blesses you with TONS of children. You'll make such a great Mom.

Tracy said...

I'll check this link out, too. Thank you for mentioning it.

As I recently said to Jordin at Paths of Peace, anyone who thinks that they can really control the size of their family doesn't know the God of the Universe. He is ALWAYS in control!

Anna S said...

Brenda,

I agree with you. I also think love of parents isn't like a pie that is divided between children and if one gets more, the other is deprived; the more love you give, the more you have to give! Also, each child has the company of many siblings to enjoy.

Mrs. H,

Thank you for sharing your story of how generously God provided for your family.

Autumn,

Thank you! I hope I will be a good mother to as many children as He blesses me with.

Tracy,

What a joy it is to know that He is in control, and how wonderful it is to submit to His will!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is my second comment of the day! I just wanted to congratulate you on your engagement!
Yesterday, as I was reading about your desire to be swept away by a godly man, I prayed that you would find him and that God would bless you both. Now, here I am, reading that you are engaged! I see that God answers our prayers!

In God's love,
Jenn

Anna S said...

Thanks, Jenn!

Maiko said...

Ever since I saw Eyes of Wonder posted in your comments I've been hooked. What a beautiful, happy family. It makes me wish I could be right there amongst them.

Emily said...

This is such a beautiful post. Children are indeed a great blessing - I pray God gives you many, Anna!

Melian said...

My boss has 11 children. He said "Maybe our theology on this is too simplistic, but it seems to us that the Bible didn't have a lot of negative things to say about having children." I wholeheartedly agree. I only have one so far, but we hope to add to that number over the next few years. Because we also plan to homeschool, we know that we will not have the income that many in this world consider "necessary" for raising a large number of children. Fortunately, we trust God to provide for us, and we know that our children have a lot fewer "needs" than most believe.