Sunday, July 29, 2007

Been busy cooking and baking

Cooking never fails to be exciting! Even my most horrendous kitchen disasters are somehow remembered fondly afterwards. Here's a new dish I tried out last Friday. It's filling, frugal, very easy to make, and a great source of protein for vegetarians like me or those of you who are trying to cut down on meat for whatever reasons:

Easy pasta with lentils

1 cup red lentils
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
4 carrots
4 celery sticks
2 ripe tomatoes (fresh or canned)
2 cups water
2 cups pasta (dry)
Salt, pepper or other spices – anything and as much as you like! I added 2 tsp of salt, and some pepper, paprika and oregano.
Vegetable oil

Wash lentils; finely chop onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes and garlic. Sautee veggies (except tomatoes) for 5 minutes with vegetable oil. Add lentils, tomatoes and spices. Then add water; you can add boiling water to make the process quicker. Cover and let cook until lentils are ready (it took me about 20 minutes). In the meantime, cook your favorite kind of pasta according to the instructions on the package. Serve pasta and lentils together. We enjoyed this simple dish around here!

I also made my carrot cake (probably the last cake I bake in this apartment – now that's something to remember!), and this time I also made chocolate frosting:

1\2 cup sugar
3 tsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp milk
1 tbsp butter

Bring everything to boil and cook for about 15 minutes, mixing. A wonderful aroma is supposed to fill your kitchen! After spreading the frosting on the cake, you can sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes or chopped nuts.

15 comments:

PandaBean said...

Excellent! I've been staring at the bag of lentils I bought to try them but haven't brought myself to make yet. This sounds wonderful! Now I just need to get off my franny and get moving!

God Bless!

Anna S said...

I hope you like it! :)

Elizabeth said...

I really enjoy cooking and eating lentil dishes. It's always fun finding and trying new recipes! The carrot cake looks delicious ...

andrea said...

I'm a vegetarian too! Glad to see some interesting new recipes to try out.

USAincognito said...

Love carrot cake!! :)
Yeah...I have been trying to find ways of getting protein into my diet without beef/pork/chicken as meat is so expensive!! I go fishing so I can always have fish to eat anytime; plus, fish is pretty cheap to buy anyway.

Anna S said...

How long have you been vegetarian, Andrea?

Christian Homekeeper said...

Thanks so much for posting the lentils and pasta recipe! I eat a lot of soy foods and beans and occasionally eat meat but I love to find recipes using pasta and beans YUM!!!!! =)

Lydia said...

Mmm, I love lentils! That frosting recipe sounds great in a pinch, too. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

andrea said...

It's been over a year since I went completely vegetarian. I really am glad I made that decision.

Anna S said...

I'm vegetarian for about 12 years now, and I feel really good about that, too! Everyone who thinks it's horrible for a child to be vegetarian is shocked to hear that :)

Heartathome said...

We are not vegetarians, but our 3 1/2 year old really doesn't like meat too much so she usually sticks to veggies, pasta, rice, beans, and fruit. She also doesn't like chocolate or ice cream. We often joke that she must have inherited all our "good food" genes. :-)
Eventhough we are not vegetarians, we do eat many meatless meals-at least 2-3 each week. Our very favorite thing is black bean soup with rice. Beans are so cheap - and good for us too.
I never would have thought to put chocolate frosting on a carrot cake-I can't even imagine the taste, so guess I'll have to try it myself. :-)
It all looks delicious....

Anna S said...

Heartathome,
I'm not sure chocolate frosting would work with any carrot cake, but it was great with this particular recipe!

Mrs Slaq said...

We are trying to eat healthier and cut down a lot on meat, especially red meat. I am making the lentil dish tonight; it sounds really tasty!

Anna S said...

I hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear how it turned out. :)

Mrs Slaq said...

Delicious! We both really enjoyed the lentils and pasta! Love the texture difference between lentils and noodles and slightly crunchy veggies. I used the same seasoning as you and it worked great. We will definitely be making this a regular part of our menus! Thanks!