Saturday, July 28, 2007

The time is now

Often, I find myself thinking and planning, and saying things like, "oh, how wonderful life will be when I get married and have my own home"! Or, "how wonderfully fulfilled I'm going to feel as a mother! What a good homemaker I will be!"

That's fine and well, but living the possibilities might make us miss out on today. I don't know what the future will bring. As you know I'm preparing for marriage – but ultimately, only God knows when and how it will happen. But I do know I have a family to love and take care of, friends to support, a home to run and manage, and a beautiful life to enjoy now. I have wonderful books to learn from; people to cook for; beautiful projects to make now. I have the duties and gifts and trials and joys He in His infinite wisdom sent me at this period of my life, and I don't want to waste today by thinking of someday and sometime instead of seizing the moment.

Seize the moment! You don't know what tomorrow will bring. But you know today will not come again. You will not be able to enjoy today's sunrise and sunset again; kind words we haven't said, smiles we held back, rush and anxiety – all those mean we are missing out on the joys of today. What a waste!

We remain focused on the great things we want to accomplish, forgetting the blessings our days are full to the brim with: cool breeze and flowers, sunshine and clouds and pattering rain, birds chirping, sweet moments of fellowship with the ones we love, times of prayer and contemplation when we feel so close to our Creator it almost brings tears of joy to our eyes. The pattern of our life cannot be complete without these simple threads.

Let's stop putting things off while we wait for our life to turn into a garden of roses. It will never happen. Rather, let's do what we can to enjoy the blessings we have today. And the time to do it is right now.

I'd like to finish with a quote from one of the blogs I love the most, Eyes of Wonder:

"I hope your day is beautiful. Hold your children, your husband, those you love and care for, tenderly, close. Kiss them and hug them. Smile often-- a soft, bright, loving, accepting, approving, smile. Be thankful for those you love, and be sure and express your pleasure with them, to them--through words, through your touch, so they know what your heart holds, towards them. Sincerely praise for even the smallest things that are praise-worthy, and with eyes open wide, take note of, and be thankful for, each kindness shown to you. Life is fleeting, and the only moments we can be entirely sure of, are those that we're presently in, right here, right now. Let us live our lives deliberately, purposefully, making every one of those precious fleeting moments matter, for now, and for eternity, in our life and in the lives of those we love."

13 comments:

Mrs.B said...

We remain focused on the great things we want to accomplish, forgetting the blessings our days are full to the brim with: cool breeze and flowers, sunshine and clouds and pattering rain, birds chirping, sweet moments of fellowship with the ones we love, times of prayer and contemplation when we feel so close to our Creator it almost brings tears of joy to our eyes. The pattern of our life cannot be complete without these simple threads.

To me this is one of the biggest blessings of being a SAHW! I have the gift of time!

And I so very much agree with the sentiment of this post. I learned this valuable lesson being childless. Waiting for my life to begin after I became a mother.--As wonderful as I'm sure being a mother is, my life is still complete even if I never am able to be one. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Anna Naomi said...

Amen! It's far too easy to get caught up in what the future will hold... It's important to seize the moment and live it out for God's glory!

Laura H said...

Amen Sista,
Preach it!

Laura H

Candy said...

Anna,
I have missed your lovely posts! A great reminder for us to seize the moment and we dont know what tomorrow will bring....so true!!

Candy :)

Jeannine said...

I so agree with you. Over the last years I thought so often about life when I would be married and a homemaker and sometime hopefully a mother. But I came to the same conclusion you did - we have a life now and so many beautiful things to experience and God has plans for us now too.
Although I'll figure out how married life will be in about two weeks... WAH! :)
Btw I think this is the first time I comment. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and I really enjoy it.

Anna S said...

Hi Jeannine, glad you came out of lurking :)
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! You must be so excited!

PandaBean said...

I really needed to hear this post. I've been slacking off in some of my duties, thinking "Oh, it'll keep till I'm staying home" or "I'll do better later". Even tho' I only have 2 more weeks, I really need to stay on top of things and keep up instead of letting everything slide until I "have more time". Taking care of things is just as important now as it will be in 2 weeks, so there's no excuse for my slacking.

God Bless!

Buffy said...

Enjoy the present: this must be the secret to happiness! So many of us are stuck in the past or wisftully (or fearfully) await the future when neither of these things really exist.

Anna S said...

Thank you for your comments and encouragement, dear ladies. Patience and enjoying today are gifts I try to cultivate in me.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you ... I'm *trying* to cultivate the ability to enjoy *now* and do my best *now*, but some days 'try' is the operative word! Thank you for the reminder and encouragement to *keep* trying! :->

Anna S said...

Elizabeth, I hope you're not under the illusion that I don't struggle :) I do! And then I pray, and seek encouragement from other unmarried women, especially older ones, who are living a happy and productive life, and from married women who had to wait a long time before they got married. Thank God for the gift of fellowship.

PaulaB52 said...

This was a nice post. I try very hard to live in the present. Who knows what the future will bring. God forbid, something tragic happen, I'd hate to think back on the past and say "I wish I had held my children more, told them I loved them more", etc.

I do love Eyes of wonder. She has an amazing gift.

Kathleen said...

I say the same thing.