Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Joyful Home

'Come in, my friend, come in and meet
My joyful home, forever sweet;

I sweep the floors and make the beds,
And would do nothing else instead;

I hang the wash outside to dry,
Drink in the beauty of the sky,

And while the wash is on the line,
Behold, my friend, it's time to dine;

I set the table; what a treat!
A cake is baking while we eat,

And when at last our tea time ends,
It's time for watering the plants.

... I'm told I could do so much more
If I just walked outside this door,

But nothing in the whole wide world
Could give what home forever holds.

The sunset's gold and purple, look!
The chores are done and supper cooked,

This dough is for tomorrow's bread,
The children soon will be in bed -

Time for today's last kiss from Mom;
Tomorrow's very soon to come:

To laugh and learn, to work and play,
To spend another peaceful day,

To make this home a treasured nest,
A place to love, a place to rest.'

16 comments:

Ways of Zion said...

Love it! we've been away for a week and abit so it was nice to open up your blog and catch up on all i've missed!

Sheri said...

Anna, what a beautiful poem! Did you write that? It's wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

king's_daughter said...

Wonderful poem! Did you write it?!?

Anonymous said...

This such a sweet poem...did you write it? It depicts very nicely why many of us women call Homemaking our job. Great rewards!

Brenda

Anna S said...

Yes, I wrote this little poem :) I've been writing on and off since I was 13, but usually it just ends up in my drawers.

PaulaB52 said...

I love this. It truly put a smile on my face this morning.

Kelly said...

Lovely poem Anna! I love it. You really captured the goal of what being a homemaker should be all about. The joy, peace, and love that a home should be.

Anna Naomi said...

Beautiful poem, Anna! It really sums up the beauty of homemaking. Poems just have a way of doing that, don't they? =) I've been writing poetry on-and-off since I was pretty small... 8-10 I think, though I've lost a lot of my first poems! Now I keep a poetry notebook with the ones I still have.

AnneK said...

That is a very sweet poem! You are definitely talented.

Laura H said...

Great Poem! So true!

Laura H

PandaBean said...

I loved it! I'm going to have to copy it out onto some nice paper and frame it. :D

God Bless!

Haus Frau said...

A lovely poem written by a lovely lady. Thank you for putting to word what we as KAH's and future KAH's intend for our days. :o)

Thank you for your email, Anna. My heart is sweetly touched. You are so special. ((hug))

Robert said...

I enjoyed the poem.It's a great description of what a KAH does and the pleasure that you get from being one.

Anna S said...

Thank you all for your sweet words! Much more than I deserve really ;)

sikes said...

I love this poem! Did you write it? It eloquently shows the joys of home!

Thanks for sharing,
Susan
Out of the Nest & Beyond
http://www.outofthenestandbeyond.com

Anna S said...

Yes, I wrote it! I'm glad you liked this little poem ;)