Friday, September 28, 2007

Show and Tell Friday - a gift from the heart

Following the previous Show and Tell, this week I'm going to share with you another gorgeous, beautiful piece of needlework. This lovely handmade tablecloth was given to my mother and her parents during their visit to Bucharest around 1973 (Mom and Grandma are unable to agree on the exact year).

The lady who made it was a great friend of Grandpa's sister (a picture of whom you can see here), in fact, almost a sister/mother to her at a point of her life, and later she and her husband, who was an Armenian forced to flee from his home country due to genocide, became family friends. This friendship endured many, many years, and made many beautiful memories, until Grandpa sadly passed away.

In an age of no internet, and for many years no phone either (at least not a private line), this friendship overcame every obstacle you can think of, the biggest of them being World War II, which tore so many families apart forever. Doesn't it make you kind of ashamed of how easily we sometimes neglect our relationships, when it would be so simple to just send a note by email?

Just look at it - what a precious treasure! Can you imagine how many hours of planning, choosing colors, and work, were invested in this beautiful cross-stitch? I tried to take a close-up shot so you could really appreciate its precision, but for some reason, it didn't work out so well - so there's my best. Around the cross-stich squares, there's crochet work, also lovingly done by hand.

I understand it's not perfectly smooth - last night, I just decided to share it with you on the spur of the moment, and it was too late to pull out my old and creaky ironing board. We only use it for special occassions, and preferably when the danger of stains isn't too great - because it would be such a shame to ruin this treasure, which is intended to be passed, reverently, to the next generation.









































Thank you for coming by for this Show and Tell - I know I enjoyed telling, and can only hope you equally enjoyed visiting with me. I'm so happy I joined the Show and Tells over at Kelli's lovely blog. Be sure to go there for more fun and stories!

38 comments:

Ron and Ginny said...

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
:-D

Kaeus said...

wow. that is just... wow. what a beatiful treasure you have.

Lily said...

I think I may have to join the show and tell. I have some lovely treasures from past generations. I really admire the tablecloth photographed here. What a lot of love went into it!

Although it is not ideal, a great way to protect such a treasure is to use that roll of clear plastic which is available at most fabric/discount/kitchen stores. Having a large family we use it daily, but with such a treasure you might want to use it if you are serving red wine.

Thanks for showing us this, it is lovely.

Tracy said...

It's beautiful, Anna! Thank you for sharing the story behind it with us as well. A true treasure to be cherished!

Terry said...

That is a gorgeous tablecloth. I think I may have to learn how to sew, knit, or something. You're never to old to learn, right?

PandaBean said...

You mean tablecloths aren't supposed to have crease marks? :D Tablecloths, in fact all table linens, are something I would like to start using. I have some placemats, but not much else right now. Maybe someday! :)

God Bless!

Anna S said...

Terry - no, you're never too old to learn a new skill! You know, I couldn't even boil an egg until I was 21 - and now look, I'm bold enough to experiment with new recipes ;)

There are so many tutorials to help you if you want to learn - check out KnittingHelp.com, on my sidebar - great site!

Anonymous said...

So, SO pretty! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Brenda

LBP said...

That is so pertty! I certainly can appreciatre all the work that went into it.

Linda

Haus Frau said...

What an absolute treasure! Beautiful.

ellen b said...

That is a wonderful treasure with some great history. It's wonderful that you can appreciate and enjoy it! Blessings...

Dawn said...

What a treasure!!!! Beautiful piece to pass along from generation to generation...

JoyFULLWifeMom said...

What a neat treasure. Love it!
CHrissy

Green Eyes said...

This is so beautiful, Anna!

Lily said...

Love your new banner!

Lindsay said...

That tablecloth and its history are very lovely. And nice banner, too.

Penless Thoughts said...

What a lovely tablecloth and treasure. Yet, the real treasure is the story or the friendship behind it.
Susan

Becky K said...

Anna, I love the new header on your blog! The tablecloth is fabulous and gorgeous. I remembered when I went to Turkey and Greece the many women who were making these beautiful linens by hand. Wish I had picked some up. I love your Show and Tell! Can't wait for the next beautiful item - wish our culture loved handmade things more than the quick, cheap versions.

Susie said...

Such a beautiful family keepsake, and you are fortunate to know the story behind it.
:)

Anna Naomi said...

Beautiful! Think of all the time that went it to it.. wow.

nannykim said...

Such a wonderful story and a memory conveyed in that tablecloth--it is exquisite

Chyrll said...

The tablecloth is beautiful!

Kristi said...

It's amazing. The labor of love put into the stitching and crochet work makes it invaluable; something to treasure for generations. Thank you for sharing it.

Jordin said...

I love the tablecloth! Very pretty and special! I really like your new header, too. It goes perfectly with your blog's new name. :)

Kathleen said...

Anna, what a treasure! That is so beautiful!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

It's gorgeous -- such lovely handiwork -- enhanced by the beautiful friendship behind it.

Mimi said...

what a beautiful treasure!!!
you are right there were many many hours of tedious work that went into that gift of the heart!!!

Rebekah S. said...

Wow!! That's about all I can think of to say!! It's absolutely GORGEOUS!!! How pretty! The woman who created it was extremely talented and blessed with a gift! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, and for giving us the history behind it as well! That made this show and tell even more special. I just love it! That's so neat.

When you get the chance, please go check out my show and tell for this week as well. Hope you enjoy it.


I like your new picture! What made you deside to change it? I was sorta partial to the other one with the women in the long dress, but I like this one as well! :) Where did you find this one and the other one?

Blessings,
~Rebekah~

Autumn said...

That is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I am glad that you decided to join show and tell.
I am sure that you will treasure that forever!

The Chatty Housewife- said...

If you want to use the table cloth more often, but preserve and keep it from receiving stains, what about layering it under a clear pattern-less plastic tablecloth? Walmart and sewing stores often sell various table cloths from bulk rolls so you can choose the size you need. Pick the heaviest and most clear type they have. Layer it over any cloth table covering to keep it clean!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a beautiful table cloth, I just love embroidered linens! Does it have a yellow rose on it!

Katherine
Yellow Rose Arbor

Mrs. Brigham said...

This tablecloth is just gorgeous, as is the story you shared.

I like the new look of your blog. :o)

Rebekah S. said...

How truly neat it is to be able to pass that dear and gorgeous family heirloom down through the generations!! :) How blessed your own daughter (Lord willing) will be one day when she receives this beautiful tablecloth for her own home!!

Kelli said...

Anna, thank you for sharing such a lovely show and tell. The tablecloth is beautiful and I can only imagine how much time it took the loving hands to complete. I also enjoyed the wonderful story of friendship.

Hugs,
Kelli

Mrs.B said...

Oh my! Anna, that is GORGEOUS!! (o:

Stam House said...

wow what a pretty tablecloth!!!!

Anita said...

Oh yes Anna, I very much enjoyed my first visit to your blog and I really like that table cloth. I very much like to work with my needles, too and now that summer has come to an end, I am looking forward to many new sewing projects. You are more than welcome to pass by my blog and have a look at my sewing project (click on the lable "creative sewing") if you like!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

What a beautiful tablecloth! I loved hearing the story about it too. Thanks for sharing. ~Amy