Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Éclairs!

Last week, I had the fun opportunity to make éclairs alongside Mom. Éclairs are Mom's favorite dessert, and the one she is best at (though her cakes and pies are mouth-watering as well). The writing in Mom's handwritten old recipe book was too unclear and smudgy for me to read, but I found a recipe online which looks very similar to what we used:

Éclair Pastry

1 cup Water
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Flour
4 eggs

Bring water, butter and salt to boil. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Beat over low heat until mixture leaves sides of pan. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat until satiny.

Drop three inches apart on ungreased sheet. Form 4 x 1 inch strips. Bake at 400F degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Keep from drafts. Slit tops of éclairs and fill with custard.


The exciting part about éclairs is that they are supposed to be hollow inside – and we never quite know in advance if they are or aren't. When we slit them and see that they are nice and puffy and hollow, it feels almost like winning the lottery.

Now, the filling is the best part – everyone can use their favorite filling of course, and any topping your heart desires. We simplified and used whipped cream with some cocoa powder. It was delicious! And as you will notice in the pictures below, we made them round, not elongated.

I wish I had taken a picture of those little fellows ready to be eaten, filled with cream and sprinkled with powdered sugar – but as soon as they were ready, we were too busy making tea and setting the table. Delicious and fun!







18 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow! These look awesome! My hubby loves eclairs and his birthday is in 6 weeks. I'll have to save this and bake those for him! Yum!

Ron and Ginny said...

That does look like it was fun and yummy! :-D

Lily said...

YUM YUM!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm....good! Fresh & homemade is almost always best, isn't it! Today is baking day for me this week, & I have plans for some kind of apple dessert as well as a batch of cookies.

thanks for sharing, Anna-
Brenda

Ways of Zion said...

These are my mother's fav. i think I'll make some from your recipe and suprise her when we go over next week for dinner. Thanks!

Haus Frau said...

Many years ago I closely watched a woman whip up these ditties from heaven...they tasted like it too! Tried making them myself and realized it would take *a lot* more practice. My compliments to you, Anna. They're lovely!

Love the recipe. Looks a bit like my Grandma Katya's script. ;o)

AnneK said...

I might try this on the weekend, but I don't know if all those eggs are good for my husband :( (he has borderline cholesterol)

Anna S said...

Annie: you *could* try it with egg whites only, but I'm not sure it would work.

Jordin said...

Oh, wow! Those look GREAT! Mine probably wouldn't turn out right--my grandmother says that eclairs take TALENT! ;)

Kristy Howard said...

Mmmmm... delicious! You're making me hungry, Anna!! Mind if I drop by for a bite????

Terry said...

Those look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will definitely try them.

Mrs. Brigham said...

The éclairs look scrumptious.

The picture of your mom's recipe book made me laugh. It is nice to see that I am not the only one who smudges up her cookbooks and recipes ;o)

Anna S said...

Amy: this recipe book is older than I am ;) I think it kinda excuses my Mom ;)

wife of faith said...

Wow! I LOVE éclairs! I am actually having some friends over tonight. Maybe I will try to whip up a batch. It seems like they would be difficult, but your recipe makes them look very simple...and delicious. =)

Lindsy said...

Yum!

They look very nice. And I imagine whipped cream instead of custard helps keep the calories down....

Anna S said...

Whipped cream is bad enough too ;)

The Chatty Housewife- said...

They look really good, can I have one?!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting these recipes! I would never try to make something so seemingly complicated and chic as eclairs, but I love your recipes for their beautiful simplicity. I hope I'll be able to attempt them someday.

By the way, Anna, do you mind if I copy and past all your recipes into my cooking journal? I have been doing this for months but it only occurred to me now to ask your permission.