Sunday, November 11, 2007

One thing have I desired

"One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple." (Psalm 27:4)

At the close of a day, I'm asking myself the following questions: have I gone to seek Him at moments of doubt, fear, or trouble? Have I set apart special time alone with Him, to delight in Him, and thank Him for the many blessings He has given me?

Was I good enough to the people I love, to the precious people who love me and need me, and whom He has given me, at this season of my life, to care for? Was I loving, accepting, forgiving, soft and selfless? Did I tend to their needs? Was I flexible with my time, plans, and projects, to accommodate everyone's?

O God, help me release myself of selfish desires and willful stubbornness. Reshape my heart in submission to Your perfect will. Lead me to trust the plan You have for me. Fill me with thirst and passion for Your Word, Your ways. Allow Your daughter to be dutiful and loving, and to dwell in Your house always.

Take my heart and free it from rebellion, discontentment, hardness and impatience. Help me be loving, yielding, soft and gentle; release me from hardness, self-righteousness, and harsh judgment. I am nobody and nothing without You, and only by my love for You I am sustained.

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is so beautiful! Thank you for such a wonderful reminder and such beautiful thoughts. "Help me be loving, yielding, soft and gentle; release me from hardness, self-righteousness, and harsh judgment. I am nobody and nothing without You, and only by my love for You I am sustained." Amen!

Mimi said...

thank you Anna.
for the thoughts and for the prayer that we all need to pray each and every day asking God to help us to be loving accepting and forgiving and self less... it sounds easy... but it becomes harder when we are busy and tired...
again I say Thank You Anna for reminding me to say this prayer each day... and before every task set before me...

Alexandra said...

Lovely reflection for Sunday! Thanks for sharing. We all need to remember to slow down and be more soft and yielding.

Rebekah S. said...

What a beautiful devotional! It is my prayer as well, daily. Thank you for these beautiful words; they truly were a tremendous inspiration.


Blessings to you, dear sister!

Sue said...

Anna:

Thanks for sharing that beautiful prayer with us. It sure gave me some food for thought.

Mary said...

Hello Anna! This is a lovely post, and thank you for the kind words you left on my blog. You seem like such a dear!

USAincognito said...

Check out the link I just posted on my latest blog entry. I think you will really enjoy it. :)

Terry said...

Beautifully expressed! I hope that this is the prayer of all our hearts.

Buffy said...

Good devotional, I bet it is really relaxing and releasing for when you go to bed as well.

Abigail said...

Beautiful post! I love that verse!

Anonymous said...

I really needed this today Anna...thank you. (o:

Brenda

Emily said...

What a beautiful reflection, Anna -- and so true! That is the prayer of my heart today as well. Thank you for reminding us.

PS. If I may, I'd like to suggest the last line to read as "only by Your love for me I am sustained" ;)

Anna S said...

Emily, I think it actually goes both ways. :)

Jordin said...

Excellent check-up--and a beautiful prayer. Thank you for sharing this. :)