Saturday, March 8, 2008

With wishes of a blessed and happy week

Yesterday it escaped my attention that 99% of those who visit this blog can't read Hebrew; and so, to satisfy the curiousity of those who asked, I'm translating the text of our invitation for you:

" Yet in the mountains of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem...

will be heard once more the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom.

We happily invite you to celebrate our wedding

Which will take place, Lord willing, on Tuesday

18-th of Adar Bet (March 25-th)

Yitzhak with his beloved, Anna

Please confirm your participation until March 18-th."

***
And some more clarifications:

*... A wedding cannot take place on the day of Shabbat. However, many couples decide to get married on Thursday, which is closer to weekend (most people don't work on Fridays). I don't remember exactly why we aren't getting married on Thursday, but there definitely was a reason. *smile*

**... We won't be going on a honeymoon in the traditional sense of the word, both because there are still so many things to arrange in our new home, and because expenses are kind of high right now. I don't mind, though. Just starting our new wonderful life together is an exciting journey in itself!

***... And no, it isn't "traditional" to hand in the invitations such a short time before the wedding. The ones we are sending by mail will probably reach the guests only a week before. It happened simply because of our very short engagement. I wouldn't want it any other way, though. :o)

20 comments:

Rebekah S. said...

Thank you for the clarifications! :)

I used to know what the name Yitzak meant in English, but it's slipped my mind. I know that my name's Revkah (I'm sure I didn't spell that right) and Jacob is Yakov, but I can't seem to remember what Yitzak is. :/

Have a wonderful day, dear Anna!

Many blessings,
Rebekah

Rebekah S. said...

I'm so sorry I spelled his name wrong!! *Yitzhak

Lydia said...

Aww, I love the invitation! It's beautiful.

Anna S said...

Yitzhak = Isaac :o)

Haus Frau said...

lovely words (& invitation design) for a lovely occasion, steeped long in God's annointing & grace. bless you, Anna, as you seek Him in all things. may your upcoming wedding be a blessing for both of you and an example to those who attend.

((( tender embrace )))

Sammybunny said...

YAY for Anna!

Persuaded said...

sigh..... how exciting!

Michelle Potter said...

Oh, that's so beautiful, I think I'm going to cry! Congratulations and blessings again!

Gothelittle Rose said...

Yitzhak, that's my brother's name. :) Or would be if they picked the Jewish form of the word.

My brother's name is Isaac, and he was named (partly) after my paternal great-grandfather Yitzhak, which is also my paternal grandfather's middle name.. my paternal great-grandfather is the one who escaped to the U.S. from the Ukraine along with his famous Jewish poet brother. :) He was a leatherworker.

It's a good name, a very good name.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! You never did tell us why you moved your wedding up and shortened your engagment? Also-I know I'm not the only one very curious to find out about your new home together and how the preparations for that are going.

What an exciting time in your life!

Shannon

Kim said...

How beautiful! Thank you for the translation, as well. :) Congratulations and blessings!

Linda Marie said...

I admit my knowledge of Hebrew is extremely limited... Especially written one. But it's beautiful. :-)
O, that's so soon! How exciting! I'm very happy for you, Anna! I'll try to think of you that day. *marking it in my calendar*
Hugs of congratulations
(By the way, is that a quote from the Bible in the beginning? From where?)

Rachele said...

I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

The wording is beautiful, Anna...very poetic. Thanks for translating!

Brenda

Terry said...

This is great- reading about your journey to marriage and all the excitement you're feeling right now. The only thing better will be the pictures- asuuming you share them with us at some point!

yoshi3329 said...

his name means isaac? cool! I was wondering what is your name in hebrew? If that's okay.

http://adlynmorrison.blogspot.com/

Anna S said...

My Hebrew name is, unsurprisingly, Chana (Hannah). The quote at the head of our invitation is from Jeremiah 33.

Valerie said...

This is wonderful! How blessed you are. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful life together.

Rachel said...

My invitations only got out about a week before my wedding too! =)

Rebekah S. said...

Isaac! Of course! I knew that. lol Thank you for reminding me! :)

You're name's so pretty in Hebrew, Anna! :)