Sunday, May 4, 2008

Doing better - and a happy independence day!

Dear ones, thank you all for your concern regarding my health. I'm happy to tell you that I'm feeling much, much better now. Fortunately, it seems that I only had a slight infection - it passed after taking some medicine just once. Normally I'm not a fan of loading my body with chemicals for every little pain, but this time it was a bit too much for me to bear. When I'm sick, most often I simply try to relax in bed with a cup of hot tea for a day or two, and next time I think I'll also try some of your suggestions of natural remedies (thanks for the tip about natural honey, Mark!).

By the time we had to make preparations for Shabbat, I felt good enough to move around and do what needs to be done (not much more than the absolute necessities, though), and my dear husband gave me a hand in everything. He has been so helpful and supportive... and a great cook as well, it turns out! ;-) My husband and I had a wonderful Shabbat, just the two of us, and I only wonder how is it that time slipped away so fast.

You will notice that my blog design changed again. From the dark colors of the past few days, I switched again to blue and white, with an Israeli flag at my header. Wednesday night and Thursday, we will celebrate Independence Day around here. The celebrations are so closely linked to pain and loss - only a few days ago, the Holocaust memorial day took place; Wednesday, during the day, is a day of remembrance for the fallen soldiers in the wars of Israel. And Wednesday night, we are already at the streets, dancing and laughing. I know it cannot be easy for families who have lost loved ones. Still, there is something meaningful in a joy growing out of suffering, like in so many occassions in Jewish history.

I don't think I have many Israeli readers here, but to the one or two who visit regularly, I wish a very happy Independence Day.

***

As a change of subject, I spent today in town, and was reminded again just how much I appreciate the beauty, peace and quiet of where we live. I must admit, of course, that this transition - from city life into the country - had to take some adjustment from our part. We only have one car; and although I have been car-less (or rather, car-free) all my life, I've always lived in an area where public transportation was good and reliable. Now I live in the place of my dreams - but when I need to go and get something that isn't available within walking distance, I'm stuck.

It isn't too bad, though. It means that every trip needs to be carefully planned, and shopping lists have to be written with special care in mind - which will save us money in the long run. I wouldn't trade our financial freedom for the sake of pure convenience.

I was so inspired by this post. I've read it once before and was glad to re-discover it. It talks about a family gaining their financial freedom, step by step, through living frugally, budgeting carefully, and not bothering to 'keep up with the Joneses': "You never reach the point of no debt when you’re continually buying things you cant afford. Just because they make it and they sell it, doesn’t mean you have to have it."

... I'll say goodbye for now, and will be looking forward to talking to all of you again, and visiting some of your lovely blogs - as time allows. Thank you for all the wonderful comments you leave here. While I usually cannot respond to each one separately, I take great pleasure in reading each one.

Warmly, your friend,

Mrs. Anna T

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you are feeling better Anna. Take it easy.
I too live in an area that is rural/suburban, and public transportation is just not available. We worked with one care for quite awhile.
Kelly

Miss Julianne said...

Other people commented on the lovely picture of you and your husband together at the wedding. Where is that picture? No fair -- I didn't get to see that one! I want to see him too :) Could you put it back up?

Jan Hatchett said...

Happy Independence Day to you, also. I am not Israeli, but I know how important it has always been that God's people have a nation of their own.

I am glad you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day!!

W

Rose said...

Happy Independence Day!

Kittee said...

Great to hear that you are feeling better! I hope you continue to feel well.

Also thank you for posting the link to that "living on one income" blog. I shared it with my husband. Ironically he had that blog already book marked! We both had a good chuckle.

-Kittee