Sunday, June 15, 2008

The beginning of a new week

Hi, everyone! I hope you had (or are having) a terrific weekend. My husband and I had the sweetest, most restful Shabbat we could possibly wish for. I must admit we were slightly pressed with time right before that - we spent Friday outside; did some errands, then went for a lovely long walk by the sea shore. It was one of those rocky, less-than-attractive beaches (to most bathers), so we've been able to keep mostly to ourselves, letting the waves lick our feet, picking up interesting shells and rocks. Not only it is fun and makes you feel like a child again, but a glass bowl filled with shells and rocks from the sea shore is one of my favorite ideas for a centerpiece - and it doesn't cost you anything, either.

I took our camera and we had some pictures made, but unfortunately, for some reasons the fickle internet connection here won't allow me to upload pictures (either directly to the blog or through Flickr), so I suppose sharing them with you will have to wait until I visit my mother - I'll be looking forward to that.

Anyway, we arrived only an hour before Shabbat, and there was still a lot to be done (fortunately I had all our food prepared beforehand), not to mention both of us needed a good thorough shower to wash off the sand and salt. But the moment I lit the candles, it was all over and we were looking towards 25 hours of perfect undisturbed rest and peace. Thank you, dear God, for giving us the gift of Shabbat.

... Regarding my post about abortion and birth control from the previous week: someone asked my opinion about a complete, legally rooted ban on abortions. To this I can say, it wasn't by chance that I didn't bring it up in the original discussion.

To me, brutally removing a tiny baby from its mother's womb, when it isn't done for the sole purpose of saving the mother's life from a grave and inevitable danger, is just as unthinkable as amputating an arm or a leg without it endangering the life of the person in question.

Amputating a limb isn't illegal; however, no mentally balanced person would consider removing a healthy arm. And even if the arm was crooked, or broken, or in some other way not functioning normally, no one would willingly remove his or her arm. The only situation when it might be considered is when the arm is so infected that not removing it would result in a grave danger to the person's life. Even then, anything and everything will be done in order to save the arm, if possible in any way at all.

Because once removed, it cannot be replaced. Just like an unborn baby's life cannot be replaced with another.

Please note I'm not saying an unborn child's life is equal to a limb; it's worth countless times more. My point is this: you won't see people campaigning to "stop amputations", because it's obvious - they won't be performed unless absolutely inevitable. It's legal, yes, but unthinkable. And in a similar way, the way I see it, abortion is unthinkable as well.

I apologize for the rambly nature of this post, and wish you all a lovely day.

Your friend,

Mrs. T

8 comments:

Michelle Potter said...

Anna, it actually is illegal for doctors to remove healthy limbs, even if the patient requests it.

New Eyes said...

Hello! I have not been able to read all your posts yet. I am new to this blogging stuff but I found your blog link from another blog and was so very delighted with what I found. I love your views on womanhood, God, the Sabbath, marriage.... I am not a Jew but I do keep the Sabbath and God's Holy Days. It is all new to me and reading your posts really inspires me. And your modesty in womanhood, dating, and so far have also sparked my own ideas and beliefs. I like your thinking which I've found is a lot like my own! Thank you for your lovely blog and I will certainly read the older posts and make comments. Bless you, Anna! :)

Jan Hatchett said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful day of worship and rest with Mr. T.

I appreciate so much your delicate and even-handed approach to discussing difficult subjects. You show a kind spirit and wisdom beyond your years. These subjects are controversial at best and so emotionally charged. It's rare to be able to find a kind hearted discussion among people. Thanks for providing/moderating it.

I will say that after 9 years of unexplained infertility, I adopted a beautiful baby who turned out to be mildly autistic. I couldn't have been more fantastically blessed by God! 8 months later, I turned up pregnant. With God, there are no mistakes and He knew that my husband and I needed this child and he needed us.

However, that being said, it is so hard to know that children are being aborted when they could be such wonderful blessings to other families.

Blessings,
Jan

Thursday's Child said...

I absolutely agree with you, Anna. I also agree with the above poster who complimented you on your manner of addressing controversial subjects. You do a wonderful job of lovingly explaining your position on things without offending.

BTW, my son just saw the pic of the cherries in your previous post. If he could, he'd reach into the computer and grab a handful. Come to think of it, so would I. LOL

Amanda said...

What an excellent way to address the delicate issue of abortion. I think you did a wonderful job of describing your (and my!) feelings on the issue. Your metaphor was a good one.

Question for you: I assume you have days when you're just "off". That is, you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, ordinary things rub you the wrong way, you have little to no patience. (At least, I HOPE I'm not the only one who has days like this!) How do you handle such days? Do you have a trick for snapping yourself out of it? Or tips for dealing with it?

The last couple of days I've just been on edge; I have little to no patience with my kiddos. I know you don't have children (yet!), but you seem to have such a good grasp on this sort of thing, I thought perhaps you'd have some advice for me.

Jia said...

Anna I love the way you word everything. It's like how I think things, but can't vocalise them the way that I want.

I'm glad you had a wonderful Shabbat!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Amanda, I think your question merits a separate post, and I'll try to get to it soon.

Bbowzwife said...

Anna, Your blog was not only NOT rambly, it was so spot on! I have always believed that making abortion illegal isn't the answer. If making something illegal stopped the activity we would have no need of police, courts or prisons. I pray constantly that the desire for an easy way out of an unplanned pregnancy will disappear. So many unplanned and unwanted pregnancies are just another side effect of that horrid thing called feminism.

Thank you for continuing to share your life and your thoughts with us.