Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pizza night

Yesterday, I decided to throw in something easy, fun and yummy. Something like... homemade pizza. A quick scan of the refrigerator made it clear that I have no yeast on hand - and since it was late afternoon, the one small shop we have around here was already closed.

For a moment, I became discouraged. But since my heart was already set on pizza, I decided to try this super-easy no-yeast pizza crust:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2\3 cup water

Mix all ingredients together and knead until forming a workable ball of dough. Roll it out as thinly as you like and spread a few drops of olive oil on top.

Use your favorite tomato sauce (I prefer to make mine from fresh tomatoes), the toppings you like, and sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese. Bake until cheese melts and becomes nice and golden.

I love using yeast - it truly gives a special flavor to whatever you bake. But if you're stuck with no yeast and still want to make pizza, this one can be an alternative.

The pizza, with some fresh salad on the side and sliced peach for dessert, was enthusiastically consumed by my hungry husband, who said it's much better than most store-bought pizzas. I wish I could share a picture with you - beside the illustration photo I put at the top, but I didn't think of taking one before most of it was gone. So you'll just have to imagine the fresh warm crust with homemade tomato sauce and toppings of olives and mushrooms, and bubbling cheese on top... yum!

15 comments:

Sammybunny said...

sounds delicious!

USAincognito said...

Thanks for the dough recipe! I will have to give this a try as I have been wanting to make a homemade pizza. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna! We just had pizza the other day (a yeast recipe), but it's so coincidental that you should post this recipe, as I remember thinking to myself, "I wonder if a good pizza dough could be made with a different type of leavening?" Thanks for sharing this....I'm sure I'll try it soon.

Brenda

Kathleen said...

Anna, that looks so good! I was planning rice for lunch (side effects of my recent trip to India), but now pizza sounds awfully good...

Kelly said...

Well gosh now I'm going to have to make pizza for dinner! ;-)

Mrs. Amy Brigham said...

Looks delicious! I love experimenting with different types of pizza, using whatever happens to be in season (or in my kitchen ;o)) at the time. I usually can up bunches of sauce from the summer tomato harvest..nothing can beat a good homemade sauce as I'm sure you know, Anna. :o) In the summer, basil and fresh mozzarella make an exquisite dinner, and just as summer is turning into fall, ricotta & figs with a drizzle of honey are scrumptious.

TheRetroHousewife said...

Oh my gosh Anna that looks scrumptious!! (did I spell that right??) Honestly, it looks so good that we are having pizza for dinner...

Shannon said...

Hey! I know where I am going for dinner! Haha! Thanks for sharing the culinary inspirations! It makes me want to try a new recipe.

neuropoet3 said...

We had homemade pizza for dinner last night too! :) We actually made it a mexican pizza (my favorite) - everyone really enjoyed it... :)

Peace,
~Jenny

Anonymous said...

Today is the day I finally tackled homemade pizza! This recipe is fantastic! My husband and children were delighted with the results. Thanks so much, Anna!

MarkyMark said...

Anna,

That pizza looks YUMMY; where's mine?! Just kidding. Seriously though, that does look good, and I would like to make one for myself...

MarkyMark

deb said...

Homemade pizza is actually better then what you get in many restaurants. You can put a variety of toppings on at considerably less cost then it would be to purchase the all ready made pizza

TheRetroHousewife said...

Anna
Can you give us the recipe for your tomato sauce?
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Pizza Dough made with baking powde is often referred to in the US as Chicago-Style. Not sure why-we call it bisquit pizza!

Persuaded said...

oh, my that looks simply delish! we are having pizza tonight- actually it's in the oven baking right now and i can't wait:)