Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sweet cherries on a perfect day

Yesterday was one of those perfectly lovely days when I especially enjoy being a keeper of our little home. I felt rested and energetic, and as soon as my husband walked out of the door, I rolled up my sleeves and started working. A bit of everything: washing dishes and cleaning and simply tidying up; some re-arranging of our refrigerator, some paperwork and phone calls.

In the afternoon, when tiredness started taking over again after a few busy hours, I popped my legs up for half an hour and indulged in some sweet cherries, savoring the pleasure of working with my own schedule, at my own pace, and being able to rest whenever I need it, at whatever position I feel most comfortable in; and the joy of working in my home, doing useful and beautiful things for both of us.

I take special pleasure in the freedom to dream, and think, and truly, deeply take in the lovely things that surround me, the riches of a day that will never come again. Later I enjoy sharing with my husband, so happy for the possibility to be calm and refreshed when he arrives.

When I felt properly rested, I slowly got up and made potato salad following my mother's rich and yummy recipe, for my hungry husband to consume when he comes home.

In the evening, while waiting for my sweetheart to come home, I had time to do some knitting. Wonderful, quiet and soothing music made my work even sweeter.

That was my day; I hope yours was equally lovely. Thank you for sharing in mine.

16 comments:

Rose said...

What a delicious picture you paint, Anna, of a lovely productive day.

Best wishes,

Rose from Oz

Terry said...

A lovely day indeed. I so enjoy reading your perspective of the homemaker's life. It is always so gracefully worded.

TheRetroHousewife said...

Dont you just love those days! When you are full of energy and are getting things done and enjoying it!! I will do just about anything for one of those days, Im having a bit of a motivation issue!

Julia said...

I wish I'd had your attitude when I first became a homemaker. I found it lonely and depressing until my kids got a little older and I started making more friends who were home during the day.

Amanda said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day. It makes me long even more for the homemaker life. For now, I need to work and put my children in daycare. I pray that God will soon allow me the privelege of staying home.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Any day containing sweet cherries has got to be a great one!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mrs T, that picture of the cherries makes me yearn to be eating fruit in Eretz Yisrael! Why does it always taste better there?

L'shana habahah b'Yerushalayim! (or anywhere is Yisrael, for that matter)

Tamara in California

Michelle Potter said...

Oh, I wish I was having a day like that today!

Mrs. Amy Brigham said...

What a splendid day! The cherries look delicious. Ours have just started to come in to the farmers market here, and Peapod cannot get enough of the bits of red delight. :o)

lady jane said...

As of late, I've been enjoying parts of days like you shared. I continue working from home so 'leaving the office' is sometimes challenging. That's when stress sometimes sets in.

This afternoon I'll have the house to myself and I plan to tidy and fluff a bit, take time to rest, then prepare something delicious using leftover grilled chicken...most likely a summer salad complete with strawberries. Mmm.

Thank you for sharing the pleasures we too often take for granted. :o)

Anonymous said...

Remember those two ladies who a few weeks before your wedding complained that you weren't putting enough effort into your studies for your career? I wonder if they had as nice a day as you did? I doubt it!

Susan

Jia said...

Ana I wish you could come to my home and show me how it's done! LOL! You always sound so upbeat and inspired.

lady jane said...

Very good point, Susan. :o)

Asia said...

Beautiful post. I am enjoying some cherries right now and they are good!!!!

USAincognito said...

Enjoyed reading this post. Sounds like you are settling well into the role of being a wife. :)

Karen said...

Your blog is always such an inspiration just to see how much you enjoy the simple things in life. :)