Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chickpea burgers

I found this recipe on Rhonda Jean's blog - and decided to give it a try, because it looked remarkably good. Following are Rhonda's simple instructions:

Into a blender or food processor add:

two cups of pre-soaked chickpeas
2 small onions
one carrot
1 stick celery
2 eggs
1 cup dry breadcrumbs or two potatoes
salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon cumin

Whiz that up until it forms a thick paste. Form into patties and fry in oil until brown on both sides.

One detail: I forgot all about the eggs! Naturally, it made the mass in my blender a bit dry. Adding some water solved the problem. It was still very very nice, and it also made the recipe vegan (for those of you to whom this might matter). The chickpea burgers (I made ours almost bite-sized) were happily consumed by my hungry husband and myself. They are great served with fresh salad.

Rhonda, who lives in Australia, mentioned it's a local meal. My husband and I both agreed it reminds us of our local dish, falafel.

Sorry for not adding a photo of my chickpea burgers to accompany this post. I'm not at home right now so what's left of them is out of my reach. :-) You may, however, take a glimpse of how Rhonda's came out.

9 comments:

Kat with a K said...

Sounds good! I'll have to try it. Thanks.

Beth said...

Chickpea burgers are delicious. We began making them last month. Yum!

Pearl Henry said...

Ooh, sounds lovely. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you cook the potatoes first, or just chuck them in the blender with everything else? Thanks!

Pear

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing! I will also give this a try. I also have a delicious bean chili recipe if you're interested (one of the ingredients is beer, and I don't know what your position is on alcohol).

Holly
http://snowonthebeach.blogspot.com/

BellaMama said...

Thank you so much! I've been wanting another recipe for chickpeas as hommus can get monotonous!

I came to your site through Amy's Place.

Blessings,
Mrs.C.

Mrs Slaq said...

Sounds good, think I might just put it on the menu for this week. I'm trying to include more fresh produce and such in our diets.. we so badly need to be eating healthier, especially with baby on the way. I'm actually wanting to get us down to having meat maybe only once a week or so.

The Quiet Life said...

I saw the reciepe on Rhonda's blog. What a small world it is! I'm definatly going to try it.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Pearl Henry: actually I was in doubt about the potatoes too. That's why I used bread crumbs... or to be exact matzo crumbs I had in my freezer since Pesach! :-)

Holly: I'd love to see your recipe! I love beer but try not to drink at all now that I'm pregnant, except for a sip of wine on Shabbat.

Pearl Henry said...

I tried these this evening, but I just chucked things in rather than sticking to the suggested quantities, and my paste ended up far too sloppy! I added flour and lots more breadcrumbs, and eventually it was thick enough to form into patties (well, spoon blobs into the oil). I added some garlic, and used quite a lot of cumin because for some reason we have a silly amount of it and I'm trying to use it up before it starts to lose its flavour.

Anyway, to come back to the point, the burgers were extremely good, thank you for the recipe! Next time I shall pay more attention to the quantities...

Pearl