Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mocca cheesecake

This is a cake I first tasted as a Shabbat guest a couple of weeks ago, and refused to leave until I had the recipe :o)

I made it for us last week, and it was delicious! I know, I know; lately I've been notoriously bad at taking pictures of new recipes I tried, but trust me - it's one of the best cheesecakes I ever tasted, and even though it has three layers, it's quite simple to make.

Ideally, you'll need a round, 22-cm baking pan. The baking pan I used was a tad wider, which made my cake look slightly flattened, but that didn't make it taste any worse!

Layer 1:

100 gr butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk (save the white - you'll use it later)
1/1/4 cup flour + 1 tsp. baking powder

Mix well; lay out your pan with a baking sheet. Flatten the dough (should be crumb-like) onto bottom of baking pan with your hands, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden(I switched the temperature a few times, so you'll have to try and see what works for you). Take out of the oven.

Layer 2:

3 eggs + the egg white you didn't use previously; beat slightly
1 cup sugar
500 gr (2 cups) soft cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla sugar, or some vanilla essence

Mix and pour over the first layer. Bake for another 30 minutes, or until edges start turning golden. Take out of the oven.

Layer 3:


2 cups of sour cream
2 tsps of instant coffee (or more if you like)
5 tsps sugar

Mix and pour carefully over the second layer. Bake for another 10-15 minutes (don't let it become browned!)

Take your cake out of the oven, and refrigerate while still hot. Serve chilled. It can be frozen; my husband even liked to eat it straight out of the freezer. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Wenonah4th said...

I've made several things that use instant coffee for coffee flavor and it usually works very well. Sounds very good!

xoxo, Chloe said...

This looks pretty easy, I will have to try it out. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Laura said...

I've never meet a cheesecake I didn't like!

Kim said...

I have something over at my blog for you. :)

Autumn said...

This sounds really good!
And congratulations on your little GIRL!!!

deb said...

Sounds great. Do I need a spring form pan?

Mia said...

Sounds delicious!
I'll have to try this; thanks for posting!

--Mia

Tracey, In Word Adorning said...

Sounds like a winning recipes. I was reading your post about homeshcooling. Although you are on your first child, there are a great many families here in the U.S that homeschool large families. I've found a lot of help and support reading information from Terry Maxwell, author of Managers of their Home (MOTH).