Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Yom Kippur reflections

One day, we will all go home.

To a place where our earthly possessions, our looks, ambitions, frustrations, demands, petty fights and competition with one another won't matter anymore.

Where it won't make any difference how much money we had, how big our house was, how fashionable were the clothes we wore; where it won't even matter how much we excelled in housekeeping, gardening, cooking, sewing, or any other skill we prided ourselves for.

Our blunders won't matter, either, nor will the blunders of others. The clumsy child who was scolded by his mother for smashing a cup, and had his little heart pointlessly broken over this, will be finally healed. The woman who felt torn apart because of cruel gossip, will have her heart restored.

There will be no more place for misunderstanding, suspicion and offence, no negative assumptions, and no need for explanation. It won't matter what we had wanted to say, what we meant, tried, and failed to express. It will be possible to look into each other's hearts, into our very souls, and see the goodness in there.

And finally we can cry over all the hidden treasures of goodness, kindness, forgiveness and love - tears of joy because they were found, tears of sadness because we never discovered them here on this earth, because of our human limitations.

We will be enveloped in infinite love. We will be, again, beautiful, beloved, sweet children. We will be forever with the One Who shaped us in our mother's womb, and there will be no need to part again.
... For now, we are still here, going, stumbling, falling and moving on this earthly journey, laughing, crying, searching, gaining and losing, knowing and forgetting, holding hands with the people we love, and hurting them, and being hurt by them, feeling happy and sad, complete and broken, together and alone.

It's impossible to achieve perfection while we are here. But we can remember our soul is on a purposeful journey to meet its Creator, and be strengthened by it. We can love, and extend ourselves to others, ask for forgiveness and forgive, forgive, forgive.

Not much of what we have done on this earth will matter eventually. This will. This extension from soul to soul, this reflection of unconditional, selfless love, which we can give to one another until we are out of this narrow corridor that leads beyond.

Until we, finally, go home.

* image from allposters.com

16 comments:

USAincognito said...

Amen!!! I cannot wait to leave this earth and all its pain and suffering......

Aelwyn said...

Thank you. This really was a good reminder for me.

Jacqueline said...

Anna, that was absolutely beautiful. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful, Anna. I, too, look forward to that day when I can be Home. Until that time, one foot in front of the other, doing good where I am, being a "lifter" instead of a "leaner".

blessings,
Brenda

Jera said...

This came at a perfect time. Thank you for posting. :)

Michelle Potter said...

Oh, Anna, you just said something I had never thought of before. I have often dreamed of the day when I will be free from my afflictions -- the depression and the anxiety disorder. I hate these things so much, most especially because of the pain they cause my children. But it never occurred to me that one day my kids will be free from all of that, too. That all of the mistakes I've agonized over so much will one day be healed, and they won't have to bear them forever.

Thank you so much for helping me realize that!

Kelly said...

Oh Anna, wonderfully stated. I needed to read that today. Thank you.

letters to elijah said...

That was an amazing post. Wow..that just changed my whole day - thanks!

Daughter of the King said...

You have such a wonderful way with words. I just loved reading this.
Blessings, Joann

~Just A Girl~ said...

Thanks Anna for this post! Just beautiful and so true. As the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) approaches for me--I reflect on the very things you so beautifully mentioned! Just a lovely reminder of why we keep the Father's Holy Days!

Anonymous said...

Anna what a wonderful depiction of heaven. God has given you a gift for uplifting others with your words!

Valerie said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you.

Danielle said...

Dear Anna, I have been reading your blog for about a month now. What a blessing you have been to me! I am so encouraged by this and your previous posts. I've just graduated from highschool and am staying home helping my mother and studying the Scriptures. I have always felt very convicted about the biblical role of women, so I have greatly enjoyed your blog. Thank you for your inspiration.
Danielle Mae
(Wisconsin, USA)

Lauren S. said...

Thank the Lord, we're going home! Every day, is one day closer to meeting our Lord. :D

Kate said...

I am so pleased that I am not the only one who thinks that this is not home it is a stopping place until we reach the end of our journey and return home.

MarkyMark said...

Anna,

Your words combined with that AWESOME sunset shot on the sea were powerful. Thanks for giving this Jersey Boy a reminder of what's REALLY important...

Speaking of going Home, I cannot wait! I just want to outlive my cats; once they're gone, I don't care what happens to me. Hopefully, I'll be OUT of this wretched world soon thereafter...

MarkyMark