Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yummy, easy baking - chocolate sour cream cake

I found this recipe on Rhonda's blog (scroll down to end of the post) and it sounded so good that I had wanted to try it for weeks. When I did, I knew right away I will surely make this cake again soon! It was gone so quickly that I didn't even have time to take a picture, but you can see the one Rhonda made here (in the middle of the post). Doesn't it make all you chocolate lovers drool?

Here's the original recipe:

"CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM CAKE

180 grams (6.5 oz) butter - room temperature
(3/4 cup) sugar
2 eggs - room temperature
300 grams (10.5 oz) sour cream
about 1/3 cup milk
1 ½ self-raising flour or all purpose flour + 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup cocoa powder


Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.


Place butter and sugar in a bowl and mix with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time and beat in.
Stir in sour cream and milk.
Sift in the flour and cocoa and stir until well mixed.
Place into greased and lined pan and place in the oven for about 40 minutes.


When the cake is cool, cover it with frosting - melted chocolate, butter and icing (confectioner's) sugar."

I intended to follow the recipe exactly... honestly! :o) But that never happens around here, does it? When I was already mixing and stirring, I realized I only have one egg (shame on me for such neglect of our food supply!) - I wanted to hop to the grocery store, but it was raining. So I took a deep breath and proceeded with just one egg, and it was still excellent.

I also decided not to make the frosting. The cake was so moist and rich that I saw no need to, and my husband isn't a big fan of frostings anyway. I'm very happy to add this recipe to my list of "easy and delicious baked goodies" - excellent when you have unexpected guests, or simply very little time for baking.

9 comments:

homemakeratheart said...

our family makes this sort of cake all the time. It's very pretty if you take a paper doilie {sp?} put it on top of the cooled cake and sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top. Be careful when you take the doilie off - if you do it right, it will leave a beautiful design!
{we do this instead of frosting!}

Linda said...

Hi Anna! That cake sure sounds delicious.... perhaps when I'm done dieting.. *lol*

Say, I have a question about Jewish dietary laws.. I know meat and diary is not supposed to go together, but in which category are eggs? Are they considered meat or diary?

Just a small question....
greetings from the netherlands!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Linda,

Eggs are neither meat nor dairy, and therefore can be included in both meat and dairy meals.

Bethany Hudson said...

Sour cream cakes are the best!! They are so fast to throw together, you have very few dishes at the end, and they always come out moist. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
~Bethany

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Your recipe looks very good!

Ways of Zion said...

Thanks for sharing...and with the fact you can just use one egg...i've been looking for recipes that use less eggs.

Thanks again!

Allison said...

I'm not vegan, but I use a lot of vegan recipes. Half a mashed banana can substitute nicely for an egg. I believe applesauce can stand in for butter as well, though I make my own faux butter by mixing applesauce, avocado, and olive oil. (When you have a massive avocado and olive oil addiction like I do, you try to put them in everything!)

Allison

Tracy said...

Sounds really good thanks for posting it!

Susan B said...

Sounds like a delicious cake. My husband loves chocolate, I will give it a try sometime. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!