Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Not enough hours in a day

I can't believe Shvat had passed already! I wish all my Jewish readers a very happy and blessed month of Adar. At the picture above, you can see a part of our Tu B'Shvat table (I'm a bit late in posting it, I know).

I imagine some of you have already started cleaning for Pesach (or simply spring cleaning), but around here, the most I can manage right now is to keep a livable home, catch up on laundry, wash the dishes and cook a simple meal now and then. I suppose that, when we join forces with my husband, we will be able to do more - but I won't even aim for perfection this year.

Still, I suppose I can consider myself lucky - Shira has developed a habit of taking a late morning/early afternoon nap. It's a time when I'm not yet tired enough to collapse too, so I have at least a couple of hours to catch up on housework every day.

I'm not too worried about having a perfect home right now. Like one wise lady pointed out, in six months the house will be there - but Shira, in her current adorable tiny baby phase, won't. They are little for such a very short time, and I just wish I could hold on to each precious moment.

And truly, there are hardly enough hours in a day to fully enjoy all the pleasures God has so generously given me; to hold and kiss and snuggle my baby; to open the doors and windows to sweet air and sunshine; to look forward to an evening with my husband; to spend quiet time in prayer and meditation. To read wonderful books, and to work with my hands. To hang laundry in my back yard, and listen to the birds sitting on our grape vine, happily chirping away. There's so much I eagerly anticipate when I open my eyes every morning, to be found right here at home with my loved ones.

16 comments:

Alycia said...

You are so right to embrace the fact that Shira will only be an itty-bitty for a short time, while your housework will be there forever. It takes GREAT effort on my part, but I try to remember the same thing during the first few months of my babies' lives. It can never be repeated enough! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Annat,
Thank you for sharing this good post.

MamaF said...

''And truly, there are hardly enough hours in a day to fully enjoy all the pleasures God has so generously given me'' ...

You put it so well, i feel the same many many times.
And yes, enjoy your baby girl to the fullest. With my first three children i was still in the 'mainstream' state of mind and left for work when they were barely 3 months old. My biggest regret.

Have a wonderful week !
Flavia

Anonymous said...

I figured your emphasis on a clean house would stop once you had the baby....some things are just more important than a clean house. And once your daughter gets a little older, your house won't be perfectly clean anyways. Enjoy!

Shorty said...

Remember that every day is a new day - to enjoy and do the things you want to do.

We don't want to do it ALL in one day, Hashem certainly didn't :) and then, what would there be to do tomorrow :)

Be well!

Tereza said...

I wish I had embraced the reality of a beautiful life with my first!!!

Shannon said...

What a refreshing post, thank you for the imagery of your every day, seen through your eyes. My husband and I are expecting our first in September, and we are planning for me to leave the workforce to raise our child. You provide a lot of thoughtful, and insightful encouragement. Thanks Anna!

Vikki G said...

She will grow so quickly....that you are so right to enjoy every moment. The housework will always been there but one day your home will be without little ones...and you will have all the wonderful memories that you spent with her.
Blessings,
Vikki

Bonnie S said...

Aww, could we please see more photos of Shira and her family? I'd like to see you three all together please! :-)

Susan B said...

A beautiful post Anna. You have a lovely way of wording things. You are right to enjoy your daughter and husband, and not to worry about everything else. It is secondary to your sweet family. Enjoy the time with them, the rest will wait. (Especially snuggling with your sweet baby girl!) Blessings to your family.

Z said...

Mmmm...that food looks yummy...what a lovely post ... simplicity and joy at its best.

Have a lovely rest of the week Anna!

~ Zipporah

Sheri said...

Anna, could you explain a bit more about your meal of fruit, nuts, etc. I really enjoy learning about your traditions, especially since I'm studying a great deal in the Old Testiment (for us Christians) =) right now... and you are so wise dear friend to spend more of your time with your precious Shira, than cleaning all hours of the day. Yes, there certainly always will be housework, but our precious little ones grow so quickly.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Just so nobody gets me wrong: I LOVE a clean, orderly home. I believe we women who spend most of our time at home, feel so much better when our homes are pleasant to be in, and not huge piles of mess.

But, sometimes all we can do for a while is basic cleaning, cooking and upkeep and that's OK - more extensive projects can wait for less busy times.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sheri, Tu B'Shvat is considered to be "the new year of trees" in Jewish tradition, and usually marks the beginning of spring in Israel. It's traditional to eat a meal of fruit and nuts on that day (especially the seven species Israel was blessed with), while reciting blessings and learning passages of Scripture about the holiday.

alecat said...

Greetings from Australia! :)
I'm glad you're enjoying your firstborn so much. It's lovely to hear.
I was wondering if you'd mind sharing if you do anything particular to celebrate, or acknowledge, the new moons? There are some scriptural references (eg: 1 Sam 20:24) but only with an inference of observance by gathering together. I hope this isn't too probing a question. I'm just curious on how we should be more mindful. :)
Kind regards, alecat

Sheri said...

Thanks for the information Anna! What a special tradition. =)