Monday, February 23, 2009

Precious life

Through Karen's blog, I followed a link to this blog, written by a young woman named Myah. Myah's daughter, Faith Hope, had been prenatally diagnosed with anencephaly - which is a terminal condition - but despite the pressure to abort, Myah chose to carry the baby to term.

From Myah's blog:

"I am 23 years old, unmarried, in my last year of university, no maternity leave, and pregnant with a baby girl who was diagnosed with anencephaly - a birth defect considered to be "incompatible with life."

If anyone had an excuse to terminate their pregnancy, it was me. But I didn't, not because it's wrong, but because I love her. If I can do it then anyone can. You don't need to be strong. All it takes is love and faith in God."

I just couldn't help but cry when I read through some of this young mother's story. How incredibly hard this must be for her; yet she is blessed by a loving heart that told her it's better to give her baby all the life she can, even if it's just nine months in the womb and a short time outside it, to hold her baby, and love her - and mourn for her properly, thus opening a door for consolation and healing - than to pretend she never existed.

Like Karen said, none of us really know how much time we have with our precious children. Today, early in the morning, I was sitting up in my bed with Shira, nursing from my breast, snuggled close. Her sweet little head was resting in the curve of my arm. So very beautiful. So perfectly peaceful. I felt tears of joy and gratitude in my eyes. Little Shira has been in our arms for almost a month and a half now, and I cherish every moment.

On this earth, we all have only a limited time together with our loved ones. We don't know when we are going to be parted, and how long it will pass before we are joyously reunited in the World to Come. I'm so grateful for every day I spend with my dear beloved husband; our precious daughter; my sweet family and cherished friends. How thankful I am to love so much, and to be loved. Each treasured relationship is like a small reflection of God's immeasurable, boundless, limitless love for us all.

8 comments:

Ways of Zion said...

You are right, I think we take it forgranted that we will have "the next day" and put off things til "tomorrow" because of this. We all need to love our husband and children everyday and act today like it is the last day of our lives! thanks for the reminder!

Sheri said...

Anna, thank you for sharing this young woman's journey... and as you so beautifully wrote, "Each treasured relationship is like a small reflection of God's immeasurable, boundless, limitless love for us all."

Amen and Amen dear friend.

Shorty said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

"How thankful I am to love so much, and to be loved. Each treasured relationship is like a small reflection of God's immeasurable, boundless, limitless love for us all."


Your words are beautiful and true, Anna. Thank you sharing this touching story.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that beautiful statement. How often do we forget to cherish these little moments. Holly

Samara said...

How brave and trusting of her to choose to carry on with her blessing. Incidentally, anencephaly isn't always fatal- I recall a news story in Tucson AZ about a family whose many adopted children were nearly all anencephalic or acephalic. They were basically unconscious, but healthy and well-cared for by their heroic parents.

Maria De Bruyn said...

Hi,
I just came across your blog today. It is so refreshing to read your thoughts on womanhood and homemaking. I am just starting off with a little one in the home that we adopted, soon to be five months. Cheers!

Sherri said...

Thank you for posting this comment. My son was anencephalic, and since I had him and buried him I have been trying to focus my faith in God and be more modest. I had him 3 years ago and haven't talked to anyone else who has had a anencephalic child. S