Friday, March 20, 2009

Show and Tell Friday: crocheted baby blanket

It has been ages since I last participated in a Show and Tell on Kelli's blog, mainly because I seldom have any computer time on Fridays. But today I got up early, so I have an opportunity to share with you this baby blanket, which I started making before Shira was born. I finally finished it a few days ago, and I'm so happy with it.

I originally planned to make it in the blue-ish yarn only, but soon realized I don't have enough, and if you believe it, they ran out of it in my usual yarn supplies store too. So I was forced to introduce the second color; it turned out better than I expected. I used a pattern out of an old Russian knitting&crocheting magazine which used to belong to my Mom but found a home here with me when I got married. It has beautiful step-by-step guides to different stitches, and delightful illustrations. Hmm, here's an idea for another Show and Tell... if I ever have time on another Friday.

I can't wait to start my next project. Last time, I bought some beautiful wool and mohair yarn. It was on sale and I just couldn't pass it. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it, but whatever it is, I know it will be wonderfully soft and warm.

Naturally, with a two-month-old around here, I have less time for crafts, but I don't think I could ever entirely give up crochet. Even a few stitches every day are so very relaxing and satisfying.

For more Show and Tells, visit Kelli.

24 comments:

Spruce Creek Farm said...

What a pretty baby blanket; Congratulations on the recent addition to your family.
Brenda

Hootin' Anni said...

Gorgeous!!! I did something 'crocheted' for this week too.

My show n tell is all about afghans this week. Do stop by if you get a chance. Happy Friday.

Otter Mom said...

Crochet is something I have been doing for years and absolutely love to do. I enjoy creating something and make a lot to give away. It's something that I didn't have a lot of time for when my daughter was younger, but now I crochet whenever I get the chance. I'm addicted. But it's a fun thing to be addicted to.
The blanket is lovely, the 2nd color looks wonderful on it. Shira will treasure it when she's older, because you made it for her and she will always feel your loving touch in it.

Tracy said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's really pretty, Anna. And your stitches are so nice & even....something I'm still working to master. Knitting just comes so much easier for me!

Brenda

Raggedy Girl said...

Brand new visitor and your blog is very intriguing. You blanket is really lovely.

Have A Fantastic Friday
from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

Heather said...

I love the stitches in your blanket! Can we do a "show and tell" here?

Persuaded said...

anna, that is just ever so pretty♥

i would really really *really* like to learn to crochet. there is a project i saw in a magazine that i loved, and i do so want to make it. i had a friend who was going to teach me, but she up and moved to florida! maybe you could stop over some afternoon and teach me? i'd be happy to hold the baby for you;)

Tereza said...

very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful-thanks for sharing:)

Jeaneen

Ashley ~ said...

What a cute blanket*! I learned to crochet from my grandmother, and I love it too, although it's sometimes hard to get started on a new project, I'm always so proud of myself when I do*! I hope you are having a beautiful day*!

_Ashley*

Bethany Hudson said...

So pretty :) I need to start knitting again...especially with two little ones to make cute things for :)
~Bethany

Jackie said...

What a lovely blanket. I love crochet. And congratulations on your sweet baby girl. :) Blessings, Jax in Alaska

Gombojav Tribe said...

Don't give up your crafts! These things keep us sane! :-)

Emily said...

The baby blanket is lovely. I like the second color a lot.

Mrs. Lindblom said...

That's just beautiful!

ceekay said...

How wonderful to be able to make something with such love for your daughter. Great job!

Linda C said...

The colors in this blanket are so pretty together! I don't crochet, but I sure admire the work and the talent!

Thanks for showing this!

Linda C

Rose said...

Anna, I am so pleased you have kept up with your crochet. You've done a lovely job with the blanket and should be proud.

Those few stitches each day really do add up. Let's say you do ten a day, fifteen on a good day, that's 80 a week. That's several thousand a year! Rose

Susan B said...

Hi Anna,
Your baby blanket is beautiful, and the colors are lovely together. Thank you for sharing it!

Pam said...

The baby blanket is lovely. I have often wished I could crochet or knit!

Alice said...

i love the baby blanket - you did a great job making it. and i love the color combination - i thinks it is perfect. your baby girl will love it, i am sure. something she can keep and treasure forever. thanks for sharing it with us!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful! :)

Beth said...

Oh my, what a good beginning effort. Congratulations on finishing it.
My daughter doesn't crochet but has become a beautiful knitter. I like that she knows intuitively what colours to use. Also she uses very fine wool so that the end result is beautifully intricate and yet, flawless.
Today, however, I asked her to bail me out of my problem: I started to make a little dress for my g'daughter's doll and just came a-cropper. Well, she rescued me with a dress she made in one evening. (She's had to stay home from practise today because the doctor imposed bed rest on her.)
ps Do you delete posts that are not totally laudatory?