Sunday, May 10, 2009

After a refreshing weekend...

... I'm popping in for a quick hello. I hope your weekend was as wonderful as ours. During Shabbat, time flows in a luxuriously slow, almost meditative way. Long family meals. Long conversations. Quiet walks, quiet slow reading. The computer is off, the radio is off, the cell phones are silent. Bliss.

On Friday, the house was full of smells of good cooking. Soup simmering on the stove, no-knead pitas, peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Yum. What a delight it is to set the table with homemade foods and a variety of salads, and later share it all among the two of us. And let me tell you, little Shira (4 months old this week) is looking at the table with more and more interest. Before we know it, she'll be snatching food from our plates...

And once again, the week begins with another fruitful, simple days: a pile of washed and drying dishes, a neatly swept kitchen floor, picking up here and there, tending to the garden and simply pottering around. What can be more pleasant than a slow start of another week here at home?

I took some new photos from our home and garden to share with you, but I can't figure out how to transfer them from my husband's camera to the computer, so it'll have to wait at least until he comes home.
In the meantime, here is a (rather blurry) picture of the nastiest fish in our aquarium. We have mollies, platies and one swordtail. All the fish get along very well among themselves, except for this black horror - he absolutely terrorizes all the other fish. If he's at one half of the aquarium, the rest are at the other half. When I feed them, he darts right to the middle and attempts to swallow all the food - and I'm pretty sure he does that simply out of greed. I think we will have to isolate him to keep peace and balance in the aquarium. Perhaps he might learn a lesson after a day or two of isolation? Hmm.

8 comments:

Rebekka said...

I've heard that Orthodox Jews do not work *at all* on their day of rest, so I'm curious: do you do housework during Shabbat, or do all your dirty dishes and things wait until after it is over? If you do wait - does the gathering clutter impact the restfulness of the resting period at all?

Rebekah said...

Ahh, the relaxation and joy of Shabbat, I'm glad you had a good one!

As for your fish, he's most likely a green sunfish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sunfish

Very territorial and mean fellows!

Oh! I don't think it's Mothers day in Israel right now, but Happy Mothers Day!

Bethany Hudson said...

Yes, I adore spending our Sabbath (Sunday) with my family, relishing good food and good conversation and *hopefully* beautiful weather like we have this weekend. It really is blissful. Though, we do have our technology on (not being bound to Sabbath laws), and we also take this time to chat with our out-of-state relatives--even Sophia can say "hello" and "bye-bye" to adoring grandparents these days :)

I love that you made peanut butter-oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies! I made them two weeks ago, had a craving. Later, I found out all those things are very high in magnesium, and I had a slight deficiency due to the end of pregnancy. Don't you love how our body knows these things, even when we don't? God's design of the human being is so awe-inspiring! And, cookies are yummy :)

Hoping for our little boy to come any day now :) :) As another poster said, it's Mother's Day here in the US and Canada, so a Happy Mother's Day from the States :)

~Bethany

Betsy said...

We had a fish like that too! He finally went too far when he began nipping at the other fish and actually took pieces out of their fins. A fishy capital crime!

Just one of those interesting interactions that happen quietly right under our noses.

Front Porch Society said...

The fish is a Black Molly. I used to raise and breed fish to sell to a local pet store for many, many years. This one appears to be a male (hard to see clearly but from what I can make out it appears to be so) and the males can be more aggressive at times. I would suggest adding Gouramis (reds or blues) to your tank. It will help balance out the "attitude" from your aggressive Black Molly.

MarkyMark said...

Anna,

Just the mention of your yummy, peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies had me DROOLING; man, they sound good! Can you beam some over here? Just kidding; I just wanted to say hello...

MarkyMark

nineveh-uk said...

Another one weighing in on the fish issue to second the recommendation for gouramis. They are beautiful fish.

Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

Anna,
It sounds like you enjoyed a lovely Shabbat. I am fairly sure you all don't celebrate Mother's Day but I wanted to acknowledge your wonderful attitutde as a new mommy nonetheless. Happy Mother's day, though I'm a bit late, having been travelling on Sunday myself.

Those cookies sound delicious! My husband absolutely loves cookies of all kinds so I will have to test the recipe one day.

Have a great day, Anna.