Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chocolate mocca ice cream cake

Hello there! I hope everyone had a wonderful couple of days. We had a lovely time celebrating Shavuot with family. A wedding we attended just before the holiday, and a couple of reunions with friends before and after, made the last few days unforgettable.

Last week, a couple of days before Shavuot and my dear husband's "real" birthday, I made an ice cream cake and popped it in the freezer to enjoy on its due date. Everyone loved it! I made the layers using Petit Beurre biscuits, and I found the excellent recipe on the biscuit box. Now, I usually tend to mistrust untested recipes, but this one sounded so good I felt I ought to try it - and I didn't regret it!

I doubled the batch, so my husband could take one cake to work to enjoy with his colleagues.

So, here goes (with slight modifications):

~ approx. 30 petit beurre biscuits (for layers). I used chocolate flavored.

~ some milk, for softening the biscuits
For cream:

~ 5 tbsp sugar

~ 3 tbsp. milk

~ 2 tbsp. cocoa powder

~ 1 tsp. instant coffee

~ 3 egg yolks

~ 3 egg whites + 1\2 cup sugar

~ 1 cup cream cheese

~ approx. 3\4 cup softened butter

~ 1\2 cup chopped chocolate

Prepare cream: separate egg yolks from whites. In a deep pan combine sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, cocoa powder, instant coffee and chocolate. Cook until chocolate melts, then take the mixture off the fire and stir in butter until it melts. Stir in egg yolks.
Beat egg whites (using an electric beater) with sugar until you get a firm foam. Mix egg whites with chocolate mixture and add cream cheese. Mix well.

Take a rectangular baking pan or deep tray and put a layer of biscuits on the bottom, after softening them by dipping them in milk. Cover with a layer of cream, then again a layer of biscuits, and a layer of cream. Decorate with whatever your heart desires: grated chocolate, coconut, chopped nuts, etc.

Freeze overnight and enjoy!

5 comments:

Grace said...

Yum! That sounds delicious!

Tracy said...

It looks so pretty, and sounds good too! How sweet of you to make an extra for your husband to share with his co-workers!

Anonymous said...

This is making me HUNGRY, Anna!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's delicious but for several years now I've stopped using recipes that call for raw (unbaked) eggs. Am I the only one?

jAne said...

Mmmmm. That recipe is a must-try! Thank you for sharing it, AnnaT. :o) Love the silver utensil on the plate - beautiful.

jAne ~ tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com