Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mini-birthday cake

Yesterday, on my husband's "mini birthday", we enjoyed this delightful cake and still have a lot left over for today and, I think, even Shabbat. I made the layers with my super simple brownies recipe (double batch), but of course, it would be ten times more delicious using the recipe of chocolate bomb brownies - mmm. A chocolate lover's delight!

I took a cup of whipping cream and whipped it with just a few tablespoons of sugar and a little cocoa powder, and spread the cream between layers and on top of the cake. I decorated with dried cranberries because this is what I had on hand, but I wish I had some almonds or nuts to chop and sprinkle over the top. You could also decorate with grated chocolate or coconut. My husband loved it.

The serving plate, which is part of a set, has a special story behind it. When we were very newly married, just before Pesach a year and a bit ago, my husband saw a lady putting these plates out on the street. He asked whether these plates were ever used (important for kosher-keeping homes, as ceramic plates and cups, unlike glass, cannot be koshered) and she said yes, they are kosher dairy plates and he can keep them - she has too much to store in her home. Since back then, we had only four plates altogether, these were a very welcome addition. We have a set of twelve - six large ones (like the one in the picture) and six small ones. They are nice and sturdy and I love them. One of the many things that were rescued and found a new life in our home.

I have rice cooking on the stove for tomorrow night, and carrots and potatoes boiling for potato salad, which firmly established its place on our Shabbat table. I'd better go and check how things are going in the kitchen. Wishing you the loveliest weekend!

Mrs. T

PS: My husband's "real birthday" is next week - what a good reason to make another, even bigger and better birthday cake, isn't it?

22 comments:

Lydia said...

Anna,
Beautiful looking brownie/cake. I am going to make your chocolate bomb brownies over the weekend when I pick up the necessary supplies. Thank you for the recipe and have a great Shabbat and weekend.
God bless you.

Anonymous said...

I've had a wonderful potato salad with grated carrots in it, do you use a simple recipe? I loved that salad and haven't found one that sounds good.

Teri

Asia said...

wow, that cake is sooo beautiful. i love to bake and i wish your husband a happy b-day.

Theresa said...

Please wish your husband a happy birthday from our family in Louisiana. May GOD richly bless you and your beautiful family.

Blue Castle said...

It's so nice to find "freebies" like your lovely plates. :)

If you don't mind, I have a question about why ceramic isn't Kosher but glass is? And what does that mean, exactly? I have an idea, but wondered if you'd mind enlightening me more. :) Do you also have to have two sinks and two sets of utensils in order to keep Kosher?

Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe said...

Oh, that looks wonderful! Happy birthday to your husband.

SarahF said...

Hello Anna! That cake looks and sounds delicious! It's my son's first birthday next week and your cake is definitely now in the list of contenders for his birthday cake! I'd be ever so grateful if you'd post the measurements of the tins you used (depth and diameter). thank you!

Sarah.

Stephanie said...

What a lovely cake! Right now I'm eating toast, and I'm just filled with food envy and bitterness.

Persuaded said...

now i never would have thought of using brownies as a cake, but it is an awesome idea. i'm going to have to copy you, girl;)

and anna... i think you might enjoy my blog posts today (hint: some cute baby pictures♥)

Mrs. Amy @ Clothesline Alley said...

You're sending me a slice through the internet, right? ;o)

Wishing a very happy birthday to your husband! May the Lord bless him with many more! :D

Neuropoet said...

I hope Mr. T has a wonderful birthday! (Both of them!) :)
Peace and Blessings,
~Jenny

Mrs Marcos said...

Would you mind explaining more about his 'real birthday' and what you call 'mini birthday?' I love the plate and the cake looks delicious!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Blue Castle,

We must have two different sets of utensils for meat and dairy (non-meat and non-dairy foods can be served with both). When we take used plates/cutlery/pots into our home, we don't know what they were previously used for unless we can ask the previous owners, and so they need to be koshered, which "erases" their previous use. Not all materials can be koshered. Glass can, but ceramic plates cannot, and therefore the only reason why we can use our plates is because the owner could tell us they're dairy.

Does that sound complicated? :o)) It sort of is.

Mrs. Anna T said...

SarahF,

Measurements? To tell you the truth I have no idea. They were on the smallish side though... :)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. Marcos,

Real birthday = by Hebrew calendar.
"Mini birthday" = by your calendar.

Blue Castle said...

Thank you for the answer! Do you by any chance know what it is about ceramic that makes it so you can't "kosher" them? :) Just curious.

Oh, and Happy Birthday to your husband, too. :)

Katrina said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog! Happy birthday to your husband. I hope you have a great weekend. I am very unfamiliar with the rules of the Jewish Shabbat and was wondering what all is prohibited and what do you do instead? From what I can gather from your blog, it sounds like a relaxing and peaceful way to celebrate and spend time with family and friends without worldly distractions. It seems more formal than a Christian Sunday. (At least in the US). Thank you for always having inspiring stories to share! :)

Sheri said...

Anna, the cake looks delicious! Your husband is blessed to have a wife who cares so much about making his birthday special!

MarkyMark said...

Anna,

Your cake looks YUMMY! Can I have some? Just kidding, but I do wish we had Star Trek's transporter right about now; then you could beam me one... :)

MarkyMark

Anonymous said...

I'm a new reader and love your posts about modesty and women. We need more women like you in our sad world. Give that beautiful baby a kiss!!

Anne

Mrs Marcos said...

Another question (sorry! I'm fascinated!)

Does the Hebrew calendar match up with 'my' calendar? Is your year length different? How many months does your calendar have?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. Marcos,

Our calendar has 12 months and the length of the year is more or less the same as yours, but the months don't necessarily match your months. For example, when I was born, 28-th of Tammuz matched July 17-th, but it doesn't mean that my birthday is celebrated on July 17-th every year. This year it will be 20-th of July I think.