Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just a few random notes

~ All last week, our internet connection was elusive, at best. I'd write a post and sometime during the day, I would have a window of about 15-20 minutes to publish it and read the comments, and then it was gone again. So I'm terribly behind on email upkeep again. It will take time to get through them all - I do hope you understand.

It was, however, a hidden blessing as well, because the past week was especially busy in our household, and not having the temptation of internet meant that a couple of extra projects got done.

~ We're away from home again this week, so the second half of the week and weekend will be super busy once more - and then, finally, I hope to be back in the swing of things.

~ I want to send a heartfelt thank you to all the dear people from all over the world who wrote to me during the past week and expressed their love and support for Israel. It was so heart-warming to read all your notes. God bless you.

~ I'm trying to eat more. Stepping on a scale a couple of days ago confirmed my suspicion that all my nice little cushion of extra weight has melted away. Nursing burns calories, and I'm not experiencing any of that famous increase in appetite. Being a vegetarian doesn't make this any easier. I do, however, want to gain just a bit to maintain my milk supply, so I'm enriching my diet with healthy fats. Tehina is one of the little extras I've been eating - rich in calcium, too. Olive oil, avocado, and yes, just a wee bit of butter will become my friends too.

~ I hope all my American readers had a good time celebrating 4th of... er... June?! Is it June? Thank you for telling me! Keeping up with two calendars is definitely a bit too much. ;-) Maybe I should give it up altogether and just wish us all a happy summer (unless you're one of the dear friends in Australia or New Zealand).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

It's not quite July yet. In the "other calendar," it's still June, and the 4th of July is yet to come. Thanks for thinking of us over here in America, though. I hope you had a blessed, quiet, peaceful Shabbat!

Gothelittle Rose said...

I appreciate the well wishing! Unfortunately, it's a month early... it's early June now. :)

I do, however, plan to have a lovely Independence Day in a few weeks!

Marmee said...

I have a hard time finding Tahini in my little western town. ;o( Its sad because I love love love hummus! I can find pitot, but it just isn't the same out of a bag as it is straight out of a brick oven.

Tereza said...

I really enjoy reading of your lovely quiet life:)!!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the well wishes! I hope you have a pleasant time away. Post pictures of your travel if you can! I love seeing pictures of Israel and hope to visit again soon! God bless you and your family!!

Joie said...

Wishing everyone a happy summer full of peace is more than enough.

I thought about you last week and what you might have thought about President Obama's remarks. We are probably on different pages here but my hope is that all people will be able to enjoy what we in America believe are inalienable rights - life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Did you ever see the movie, The Lemon Tree? Would wonder what you thought of it.

Rebecca Grider said...

I thought I'd give you a bit of info on our July 4th. I guess you know that it's our Independence Day in the U.S. but what you might very well appreciate is that it is generally a time devoted to family and friends. Most people take the day off of work, or the Friday before or Monday afterwards if it falls on a weekend. Most people either go out of town - to a lake house or the country perhaps - and spend the day with a picnic, boating, perhaps a bonfire at night. We gorge ourselves on food - hot dogs, hamburgers, salads, desserts, ice cream - and spend the day celebrating our country with our families and close friends. The children are usually busy playing outside and the parents enjoy some carefree time as well. At night on the 4th we all go crazy with fireworks, watching the sparks and explosions across the night sky. Many cities and towns have fireworks displays and for a few days afterwards the authorities, who usually frown on fireworks within city limits, look the other way while children use up the rest of their supply of fireworks. I live in the city and I notice that sounds of firecrackers can be heard for a few days as well as notice how many more children are outside, playing and having fun, when usually they are inside in front of their computer and video games. I thought this might appeal to you and you might enjoy a glimpse into the frivolity of an all-American holiday, especially since being with family and friends is such an important part of it.

Jenny said...

Hi Anna, I ate a lot of tahini while breast feeding, also cashew nuts. Lots of vitamin B for when I was feeling frazzled and needed a boost. Also a cup of camomile tea in the afternoon helped me feel more relaxed and able to manage the sometimes difficult early evening time when the baby was fussy.

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I know you are not a huge fan of modern medicine, but it may be worth getting your thyroid checked
(TSH and thyroid antibodies) if you are having a lot of trouble keeping on weight and so on. It is estimated up to 10% of post-partum women have thyroid problems. In my case, I got an autoimmune disease called Hashimotos after my second child. I lost a lot of weight at first, then started gaining. I got very sick before being diagnosed. Just thought I'd pass this on because I sure wish someone had suggested it to me. It could very well be a transient thryoid problem that will resolve in time.

Front Porch Society said...

It's the 4th of July and it won't happen for yet another month. But that was sweet thinking of us.

I have been praying for Israel. Especially right now. What a tumultuous time for your country and your people. No matter what the United Nations or Obama says, I stand behind Israel's decisions not to give in. Israel and the Jews have endured and sacrificed so much. No matter what anyone says, you are God's chosen people as is stated in the Bible.