Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's never too late to start your day

An important component of being happy at home is to be busily, cheerfully and productively employed. It doesn't mean running around from the moment you get up and until you go to bed; the daily rhythm has its ebb and flow, busy hours and quiet hours. But it's so satisfying to look back at the end of a day, on all the cooking and baking, cleaning and laundry, ironing and sewing, decorating and schooling, and to think how much your family has benefited from your efforts. A day of good hard work right here at home is one of the things I enjoy the most.

I have learned that getting up early is a big help to having a productive day, as well as a major stress reducer. Getting up early enables you to get dressed and have a cup of coffee while slowly thinking about what you are planning to do today, and start your work when you still have an entire morning stretching out ahead of you. I don't know about you, but I'm most productive in the mornings.

However sometimes, it just isn't meant to be. There were many mornings which I spent in bed, nursing little hungry Shira in the middle of a growth spurt. Sometimes I went to bed very late the night before - if I didn't get to sleep before 2 or 3 A.M., I'm still a zombie around 8. There were many days when by the time I was dressed and ready to go, the morning was already gone, the list of chores remained untouched, and I found myself wondering how I'm ever going to accomplish anything when my day is so unstructured.

Even if you get up late for some reason, or have to run out early in the morning before beds were made and last night's dishes were washed, it's never too late to turn that day into a productive one. Yes, perhaps the day will not be one for great achievements, but once you have tidied up, you can turn your attention to doing some odds and ends which don't take much time, but somehow don't get done as often as you wish. Don't we all have those?

It's amazing how not following a routine can make us feel disoriented. Remember the wasps that favored our grape vine last summer? Well, the grapes are here again, and so are the wasps. It is literally frightening to get out of the house during the day. While I might dash out to throw out the garbage, or pass through a neighbour's yard to get to the grocery store, I have found that I absolutely cannot hang the laundry during the day - the grapes are right near my clothesline. So I do the laundry in the evenings now, while it has always been a morning chore for me. A small change, but it requires adjustment nonetheless.

Instead of giving up and saying, "since I'm unable to follow my routine, I declare this is a wasted day", you can acknowledge the fact that you might do less than you planned, and pick up where you left. For me, those little spots of sane productivity in a rollercoaster day can be: cleaning the stove; cleaning the toilets; cleaning mirrors; dusting; cooking something quick, tasty and healthy; writing out a shopping list or planning tomorrow's meal. It doesn't take much time, but it sure gives a feeling of a spruced-up home and a yummy-smelling kitchen.

And remember, tomorrow will always be another day.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another encouraging post. I am wondering regarding the wasps if you can obtain one or two of those wasp traps. The wasps enter the contraption to get the sweet liquid placed inside but cannot get back out of it. I believe I have heard of someone using a two-liter soda container with sweet liquid (or rotton fruit?)in the bottom of it but not sure about that. If you could find where they are coming from, you could spray the nest after dark when they have returned. Just a couple of thoughts. Have a blessed day.
Mrs. L.

Paulina said...

I loved what you said! Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

Theresa said...

I too just keep at it until my day is done. If I start late, I just keep going. If I have to rearrange my day I will. That is just the way days are.... I love a routine; however, my routine is closer to an outline for the day. Like you, I have a wonderful, understanding, loving husband.

Sharon said...

This is so true. When my routine gets disrupted, I become so unproductive, and my routine has been interruped a lot lately. Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

What a great post! We are too hard on ourselves aren't we? There are days when we just can't do all we had hoped and that's ok!


Shannon

Carrie said...

This post is exactly what I was feeling yesterday. It always amazes me how much this is true. I can either have a great productive and happy day to having a depressing, unproductive day. All simply by following my normal schedule or not. It is great to hear these encouraging words. Good luck with Shira and her teething!

Brooke H. said...

Yesterday was exactly one of those days for me. Timely post. Thanks!

Sammybunny said...

I, too, love to be productive right in the morning but there is definitely an ebb and flow to the day, no matter how busy you find yourself.

Ways of Zion said...

Wonderful post! we are in catch up mode today as so far the week has been spent in the hospital with Magoo.

I find it daunting when the lists go undone and it all piles up in one day!

But we must press on.

btw. putting a wet washcloth in the freezer for a min and letting her chew/suck on it might help the teething!

movinginspirals said...

I enjoy reading your posts, although I don't often comment. If you only knew how timely these words are for me today. Thank you!

Kim M. said...

I enjoyed this post. My husband is on night shift now so I have a lot of adjustments to make...this was helpful!

Tereza said...

Very true! I love being able to think before everyone awakens and to use moments to accomplish a few things in the midst of a busy day!

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

Paulina took the words right out of my mouth!

Kaleanani said...

This post was very timely for me! You have an uncanny way of posting things that are inspirational and encouraging at just the right times. ;)

Anonymous said...

What do you do with Shira while you're doing all of your chores? I have a 9 mos. old who doesn't really like to be put down, and some days I find it difficult even to make myself a sandwich. I can really only do chores during her naps. And advice? I put her in the sling sometimes, but she's so squirmy and grabs at everything.

Breanna said...

You can also use a peice of raw meat in a wasp trap--they like it better than sweets, actually. The traps really do work!

Mrs. Lady Sofia said...

I enjoyed this post because I can relate to some of your situations (e.g., staying up until 2:30 a.m. and then being a zombie at 8:00 a.m.). I found this post to be most encouraging and helpful. As a "new" homemaker, I need all the encouragement and helpful tips that I can get! Thank you.

L.H. said...

LOVED this post! I love getting up early and starting my day w/prayer, exercise, and coffee! However, it just doesn't go that way as often as I would like it to!

I do end up feeling that I have "blew it" when I find myself still distracted in the house undone at 12pm.

But, you are so right that we have to make the most of even those days. It is a wonderful feeling to know that my husband has clean clothes to go to work in and that my children have a clean home to play and learn in.

Thanks for reminding me of this!

Godly Woman of Virtue said...

This post really inspired me. Thank you! It seems that ever since I created my blog, I've come across some blogs by really incredible women, like yourself, who have a great confidence, as a homemaker. I've been very insecure being a homemaker, until recently, because where I live, it doesn't seem to be the "thing" to do. Most moms have careers and if they do stay-at-home, they're always out and about (quite a contradiction?). I love being home, but didn't feel that I had the right to do so, for the longest time. Thank you for being such a blessing!