Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Potato blintzes

An easy, delicious dish; makes for a light dinner in the summer heat.

For blintzes:

1 cup flour
1 cup milk (or water, if you don't want to make it dairy)
2 eggs
A pinch of salt
2 tsp. oil
2 tsp. sugar

(Makes approximately 10 blintzes - the recipe can be easily doubled)

Mix all ingredients with an electric beater (you can do it by hand, but I can never really get it to a nice, smooth condition by hand). Batter should be approximately the consistency of buttermilk. Ladle about 1\2 cup of the batter at a time onto a slightly oiled frying pan and let it bake until edges of the blintz become golden. Then flip to the other side and bake for another minute or two. They are supposed to be very thin, so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes once the pan is hot.

For potato filling:

3-4 large potatoes
2 onions
1 cup of mushrooms, fresh or canned (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes until soft and mash them. Chop onions and mushrooms and fry them until nice and browned. Mix mashed potatoes with onions and mushrooms and add salt and pepper to taste. You can add a pinch of powdered turmeric (as I did) if you like a richer yellow color.
Take some filling and put it close to the edge of the blintz; roll it in, and enjoy this yummy treat. If you have some left over blintzes, they are also delicious with cream cheese, butter, jam or chocolate spread on them.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I've actually been searching for easy dinner ideas--and here I've found one! Thanks! Leah

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing and simple. I can't wait to try this in the current heat wave.
I love following your blog and have been doing so since before your marriage. Blessings on you and your loved ones.

Tereza said...

Kind of like crepes or as we call them in Hungary~ palacsinta:) They are soooooooo yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Looks super yummy, and healthier than Beurekas! I'll have to try this.

~tamara in california

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a Norwegian food, lefsa, except that the mashed potatoes are in the dough which is then rolled out very thin and cooked on a skillet. Does anyone have a gluten-free crepe? My dear little grandson cannot eat gluten, dairy or tomato products.
Mrs. L.

Mrs. White said...

I love how you described this in great detail and included pictures. I will be making these this week! I have 20 pounds of potatoes and was looking for something new to do with them.
Thanks for such a good idea!

Blessings
Mrs. White

Rachele said...

My grandmother and I love cheese blintzes for breakfast. I was so excited by this recipe that I just prepared some... they are unbelievably easy and so tasty! I sampled mine with some black cherry preserves. Thank you for this great recipe!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. L,

In this recipe, which doesn't include yeast or baking powder, you could try substituting regular wheat flour for any kind of gluten-free flour.

Muriel said...

It is almost the recipe of french crepes !
That's funny, I think you can find this kind of recipes in all cultures, the fillings are different though... is it a recipe from your native Russia, Anna ?

jAne said...

Mmm, thank you for this recipe, I *will* try this!

By the way, your table covering is so cheery. :o)

jAne at tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com