Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Phew!

We've done a lot of work on our storage shed. We threw out piles and piles of rubbish, and also gave away some donatable items and clothes. One of the rewards for this was (apart from the newly freed storage space) getting to know our local second-hand store, where we found some real bargains, such as a printer we got for 15 shekels (something like 4$). I have no idea how it ended up there, as it looks hardly used and it works really well. My husband also pointed out that this is a laser printer with various functions beside printing such as fax and scanner; it's much better than a regular printer because it's much more economical when it comes to ink costs.

Here's a picture of some of the junk we got rid of.

I wish I could say we now have much more storage space but it wouldn't be entirely truthful. In fact our storage shed looks much like it did before, mainly because it now stores many of the things we used to have piled up in the house. But of course, it means the house looks more spacious now, and when you live in a tiny like ours (only two bedrooms), you can imagine how important that is! I was finally able to put away our Pesach pots and dishes, stocks of toilet paper and detergents, and also plan to put away the clothes Shira has already outgrown.

I can't stand having ugly, unused junk in the house. The more things you have, the more you are enslaved by them because they demand upkeep and cleaning and give nothing in return. Therefore, I'm a huge proponent of throwing away or giving away whatever you don't need. It literally gives more room to breathe.

7 comments:

Crystal in Alaska said...

Good! Now maybe you can get back to Becky! :)

leah Burks said...

Agreed! It really raises stress levels having junk and clutter laying around. I LOVE wholesale give-aways and throw-aways!

Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe said...

Boy, that's the truth. Ever since my husband retired from the military and we have become civilians again, we are not motivated to get rid of our junk because we have not moved in many years. I'm beginning to feel buried, but cannot bring myself to part with anything, and this is the worst part: nobody wants my used stuff because they have too much stuff of their own. Are we spoiled or what?

Kim M. said...

Amen sista! I am right there with ya since we are about to move...

Jiabaoyu said...

Just curious, since you seem environmentally minded....is there a convenient recycling center where you live? Where I live, I can recycle the thick phone books I never use but which always gets delivered to my house annually.

Samara said...

I'm with you. I come from a very large family, some of whom are pack rats. I understand the need for a large family to have a lot of things, but when I'm in a room that's full of "stuff" I feel physically and mentally oppressed. Besides opening up that space, it's emotionally gratifying to give things away, either to the local charity shops or via Freecycle to individuals.

Scarlett said...

My thoughts exactly. :-)