Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Improved etrog jam

Remember I told you about my unsuccessful attempt at making etrog jam, which ended with candied fruit? Well, my husband and I refused to give up, and decided to give it another try.

We took our candied etrog, and boiled it again with some more water, a little bit of honey, cinnamon and grated orange peels. I'm not certain about the quantities as we didn't exactly take measurements, but we made sure the water covered the fruit this time. It smells and tastes heavenly!

In Jewish tradition, eating etrog jam or tasting and smelling of etrog is supposed to help women have an easy delivery. Last Sukkot, when I was pregnant with Shira, we kept our etrog for that purpose and intended to take it to hospital with us, but eventually forgot it at home. My sister-in-law also got me some etrog jam from Rebbetzin Kanievsky, but unfortunately, it was lost before I could ever taste it.

I ended up having a very smooth delivery even without an etrog, though *smile*. For now we'll just enjoy the jam. I'm not pregnant right now, and even if this blessed event happens soon, I doubt the jam will keep for many months!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like fig preserves. It has been many years since I had any. I'm too far north for figs to grow. Congrats on your etrog success. It was nice reading about something you and your husband worked on together.

Nea said...

I think I've never even seen an etrog..? But the jam looks jummy :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anna--I'm laughing so hard. I looked at the title too quickly, and thought I saw "Improved estrogen jam"! :-D

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

it looks delicious!!!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Estrogen jam... haha :o))) Thanks for sharing a laugh!

Anonymous said...

Estro-jam! :-D