Thursday, November 26, 2009

Homemade onion bread

I wish I had a picture of this bread after it was baked - it was so delicious. But as we were in a hurry before Shabbat, I didn't have time to take a picture to share with you all. Perhaps next time, as I'm sure we'll be making this bread again. Adding fried spiced onions was my husband's idea and it was the yummiest bread I have ever tasted. We got the recipe from here (in Hebrew):

2.5 kg of flour
4 tbsp active dry yeast - mix with the flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1\2 cup oil
about 6 cups of lukewarm water

mix and knead dough, let rise until it doubles.

knead again, let rise again - for a shorter time

divide and shape dough according to your desired number of buns or bread, let rise for another couple of minutes

bake until nice and golden - took us about 30 minutes in medium heat, but you have to keep watching all the time because you don't want to overbake.

You should give it a try. It's a really delicious bread.

PS: The onions were not part of the original recipe so I did not include them here. If you would like onion bread, fry your onions, add spices to taste, and add them to the dough before kneading for the first time.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Sounds great but I am not fond of using yeast as my loaves always turnout too heavy. Whats the secret?

Jo

Anonymous said...

Are the onions added during the mixing process or after the dough has risen?
What about adding herbs -- dry? or fresh?

Anonymous said...

Anna, that looks delicious and I would love to try it, but when do the onions go in and how did you fry/spice them?

Thanks,
Melody

Thursday's Child said...

I've read through the recipe and I think you missed the onion? How much and when is it added?

Mrs. Anna T said...

See addition to my post.

Jo, we've had heavy loaves a couple of times as well, and we've found out the secret is using very fresh yeast that rise well, and also giving the loaf enough time to rise, and perhaps letting it rise in a warm place on cool days.

Mrs. Oliveira said...

Anna, Thank you for the wonderful idea. I adapted the recipe for my bread machine. I have some health issues that leaves me in serious pain anytime I do anything involving prolonged exertion. Sadly kneading dough is one of those tasks. A few years back I was fortunate enough to recieve a bread machine that does all the hard work for me. I do not allow it to bake the bread just the mixing and kneading! Anyways the onion bread came out absolutely delicious. My husband even asked me to make rolls large enough for his sandwiches for work.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. Oliveira, I'm glad your bread came out delicious. We made it again for the past Shabbat and it's all gone now.