Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cake in the toaster?!

It sounds weird, but a minute or so in the toaster is great for cakes that are slightly under-baked. We have apple cake that I made a few days ago, and it came out a tiny bit under-baked. My husband put a slice in the toaster. Sure, it was slightly squished, but it also came out wonderfully crisp, warm and slightly browned after a very short time. Delicious. I got excited about the idea and had a slice myself. I suggest you give it a try next time you come across a slice of cake that could do with additional crispness.

When I say toaster, of course I don't mean a pop-up toaster, but a pressure toaster such as this one.

6 comments:

Civilla said...

Hey, that's a great idea; I'll try it sometime. Make sure, though, that there is not a lot of fat or oil, in it, or butter on it, as in a regular pop-up toaster like most of us have here in the U. S., it will catch on fire (learned this the hard way!!).

honeybee said...

Left-over pound cake is especially delicious lightly toasted. Served with ice cream on top is strictly optional, of course!

Anonymous said...

This works well in a toaster oven too.
Susan

critterknit said...

I imagine a toaster oven would work similarly well.

Jo said...

I zap muffins in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and they come out warm and yummy - freshness those that are a few days old

Rachel said...

lol, I'm glad you mentioned it wasn't a pop-up toaster, cause that's totally what I was thinking of.