Friday, December 18, 2009

Vegetable latkes

I made this recipe for Hanukkah, though it's great as a side dish on any day. It takes a bit of work, but it's really delicious. We normally don't eat much fried foods, but I thought we can indulge once in a while.

For approximately 4 servings, you'll need:

1 onion, chopped

1 carrot

2 potatoes

1\2 sweet potato or 1\2 cup pumpkin, or a bit of both if you like

Grate your veggies. I like mine roughly grated.

5 cloves of garlic, or more or less to taste, squashed.

4 eggs

1\2 cup flour

1\2 cup matzo flour or bread crumbs

Salt, pepper, spices to taste. I added some red hot pepper, turmeric and cumin. Mix it all together. Look at the mixture – it should be sticky enough so that your latkes won't fall apart. You might have to add a bit more flour if it's needed.

Fry on both sides until it gets nice golden-brown, and enjoy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about fried food but you probably use olive oil, right? We will definitely give these a try. Thanks, Anna.
Blessings.
Mrs. L.

Anonymous said...

I wish you'd stop making me hungry, woman! :-D

Ganeida said...

We do a similar thing with just potatoes & love them when I can be bothered to make them so I will definitely try these. They sound too yummy for words.

Mui said...

mmmmmmmmm those look fantastic, and not to difficult to make. I also like that pumpkin idea.

Thank you :)

Marie-Eve

Jo said...

I make this recipe but I don't add the turmeric and cumin - I will next time as it sounds so nice. It is a big favourite in our family and now my son makes it for his girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I think I will try it. They look delicious. Like you, I save fried food for an indulgence, but there is no better time than the holidays to indulge!

Anonymous said...

I really do need to try making these!....as it happens, I have every ingredient you've listed. As another visitor mentioned, the addition of the pumpkin seems like a good one.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Yum! That sounds really good.

Pendragon said...

Will try!

Gombojav Tribe said...

I am dreadfully late....

but, Happy Hanukkah!!!

Blessings!