Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apple strudel


This was my very first attempt at apple strudel, so I chose a simple recipe from here (link in Hebrew). The result was simply divine, starting from the moment the delicious smell of apple strudel filled the house and continuing with the first taste of a hot slice of strudel, fresh out of the oven.

For the dough:

2 1\2 cups of flour

1 egg

2 tbsp. of vegetable oil

1 cup water + 1 tbsp. of white vinegar

Combine flour, egg and oil. Slowly start pouring water with vinegar into the mixture, just until the dough is nice and workable. Most likely you won't need all the water.

Divide the dough into several balls. I made four, and got four mini strudels. It's possible to divide it in two, and get two big strudels.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Dough should be rolled out thinly.

For the filling:

I took seven small apples, which I roughly grated and mixed with some cinnamon and a couple of tablespoons of date spread. If you don't have date spread, jam or honey can work just as well, or you can simply mix the apples with a bit of cinnamon and sugar, and dot with butter before rolling the strudels in. I think adding raisins would have been wonderful, but I didn't have any on hand.

Spread the filling on the sheet of dough, leaving the edges empty. Roll the dough in, and seal the edges.

I brushed my strudels with some oil and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top of them before baking.

Bake at medium heat for approx. 40 minutes. In my oven, the strudels didn't brown but they were most definitely ready.

13 comments:

Leah Burks said...

Wow, that looks soooo good! Especially since I'm watching my calories!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe. I have wanted to make a strudel but refuse to use a recipe calling for shortening or other hydrogenated fat. I look forward to trying this!
Mrs. L.

Mrs.Rabe said...

Sounds delicious!

Persuaded said...

Ooh, this looks like such a sweet simple recipe. I am going to have to try it. Maybe for breakfast♥ Thanks so much for sharing, dear!

Livin' in the Sonshine said...

This looks so yummy!

Australia said...

WOW!! That looks sooo good! I'm gonna try that soon...thanks for sharing! :)

Front Porch Society said...

I am drooling just looking at this picture! Yum!! :)

Jo said...

Having been brought up in a German migrant town - this was one of our favourites. I always add sultanas:)

Tracy said...

Sound yummy.

Sherri Ann said...

I enjoy your blog very much; I enjoy seeing how much you do and love to do to take care of your family.

Take Care,
Sherri Ann
sherriannskeepingroom.blogspot.com

"The Smelly Lady" said...

I really like reading your blog! I'm passing along a bloggey award to you!
Hope you can play along! http://kolfinnaskorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/im-so-excited.html

WesternWoodburner said...

This looks good and fairly healthy.

MaryT said...

That looks so good. I want it right now!!