Friday, January 22, 2010

Healthy energy cake


This cake, featuring dried fruit, grains, honey and orange juice, can be great as a healthy midday snack or, I think, a batch of breakfast muffins. The original recipe, in Hebrew, is here, but I made a few modifications.

So, here goes:

A little less than 2 cups flour

1\2 cup oil

2 eggs

4 tbsp. sugar

The juice of one orange

4 tbsp. honey

4 tbsp. tahina (if tahina isn't common where you live, I think it can be replaced with some sort of nut butter, like peanut or almond)

3\4 cup chopped dried fruit (I took prunes and apricots)

A handful of sunflower seeds (it said nuts in the original recipe, but I didn't have any)

1 tbsp. of orange zest

1 tbsp. baking powder

I also added a couple of tablespoons of powdered almond (left over from another cake), but that's optional. Next time I make it, I think I'll try adding some coconut.

Batter should be sticky. Pour it into a pan. I sprinkled sesame and poppy seeds on top of mine.

Bake until golden-brown. Took me about 40 minutes at medium heat, but my oven is not that strong.

My husband enjoyed this cake, as he prefers his cakes not too sweet. If you like additional sweetness you can, of course, add more sugar.

10 comments:

Harper said...

That looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

In case anyone is confused, "tahina" is called "tahini" in the US.

Thursday's Child said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm trying to keep some type of cake or goody on hand for the kids after school and/or for their lunches. This should be great...if they don't complain about the dry fruit.

I've never heard of putting tahina IN a cake, though I do have a friend who'll use it instead of shortening to grease the cake pan.

Monica said...

That sounds delicious. I'm always looking for healthy foods that my picky husband will eat and this sounds perfect.

Cinnamon said...

Lovely photo...looks scrumptious.. and, love the comments along with the directions...it's nice to hear how other folks embroider their recipes!

Rebecca said...

I'm not much of a cook but your recipes and delicious pictures inspire me. I'm very much in awe of your culinary abilities. I did make your potato salad and was blown away. Just delish!

Hope things are well with your family and that you're back home shortly with your little one.

Kelley Folsom said...

Hi Anna,

Just wanted to let you know I posted some information on my blog today regarding budgeting and also a link for a free e-book through the Heindz Family Philanthropies. I hope you find it helpful.
You can find it by typing Abenaki Motherhood under a google search.
I will be posting more articles over the next couple of weeks. Hope you are all well.

Kelley Folsom

colourdujour said...

this sounds really good, looks good too. thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go make this right now!

Thanks,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Anna!
This sounded so good I had to try it this morning. Wow! It is yummy, yummy! I used your recipe except I used brown sugar, dried cranberries for the fruit, and added a spoonful of peanut butter instead of the sunflower seeds. It is really delicious. Thank you so much!
Karen :-)

Homemakers Cottage said...

This sounds wonderful, Anna! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to trying this healthy treat!

Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage