Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Noodles


Two days ago, we were extremely tired and very hungry, and the need for a good, quick dinner was obvious. When I'm stuck with no dinner, pasta is usually my first choice. There are few things easier than whipping up some tomato sauce, boiling pasta and shredding a bit of cheese on top.

This time, we decided to opt for noodles with stir-fried veggies. They were really good, and we enjoyed them again the next day!

I took:

2 onions, chopped

3 carrots, very finely chopped

1 bell pepper, thinly sliced

Approx. 1\2 of canned sliced mushrooms

A bit of hot green pepper, thinly chopped

A handful of halved walnuts

(Of course, modifications can be made according to what you have on hand and what your family prefers!)

My husband stir-fried it all together, adding:

5-6 tbsp. of soy sauce

3 tbsp. of chili sauce

1 tsp. sugar

A bit of ketchup

Then I cooked the noodles according to the instructions on the package, mixed the noodles and the veggies, and voila! A quick late dinner for two starved people was ready.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Noodles are always great to cook when you don't have a lot of time. Yum!

Shannan said...

oh! i've done stuff like that before. also works well when you make the pasta, quickly cook any veggies, and just add some olive oil and a few spices... actually turns out fairly healthy as well! see... this is proof that a greasy fast food burger with lots of calories and no nutrition isn't the only way to eat when tired and rushed!

Anonymous said...

It's always gratifying, isn't it, when you can devise a good, filling meal on such short notice. Sometimes, in fact, these ad hoc meals (or at least some variation of them) can turn out to be "keepers"....the ones your family wants again & again!

Brenda

MrsKassandra said...

Just the other night, it was late, both of us were hungry, and I didn't have time to make much. I came up with a chicken/rice dish with steamed broccoli..turned out so yummy! And totally on the fly. Doesn't it make you feel good when once in a while, a recipe isn't needed? :-)

Inca said...

A winner!

Sparkly said...

Hi Anna,

I often struggle for quick options for dinner if I get home late (sadly it is usually work that keeps me out). From a nutritionist's perspective did you include the walnuts for protein? It is the protein that I struggle to find. How much protein have you been taught/do you believe one should aim for?

with good wishes,
Sparkly

Jo said...

Noodles/pasta are great inventions - what would we do with out them.

Mrs. Lady Sofia said...

Anna,

A similar situation happened to me Sunday night. I did the noodle thing too, but added less ingredients (I didn't have much on hand). I just cooked noodles with some olive oil and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. It was pretty good, considering I don't do well cooking "from scratch."

Anyway, I like your "spontaneous noodle" recipe. I'm going to have to try it sometime. :)

~Mrs. Lady Sofia~

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sparkly, as a matter of fact, we only included walnuts because we like walnuts. :) There is a formula to calculate how much protein a day one needs, about 0.8 gr per kg of body weight (obviously if the person is overweight or underweight they'd need more or less protein per kg of body weight, respectively). Overall, most of us eat enough and more protein than we need.

SBCE said...

I've made noodles with stir-fried veggies before, but had never seasoned them with soy sauce and chili. It was different and surprisingly tasty. Thanks for sharing!