Sunday, February 14, 2010

A book He is writing

Mom and Daughter Reading Wood Sign
"Don't you think it's rather nice to think that we're in a book that God's writing? If I were writing a book, I might make mistakes. But God knows how to make the story end just right – in the way that's best for us."

"Do you really believe that, Mother?" Peter asked quietly.

"Yes," she said, "I do believe it – almost always – except when I'm so sad that I can't believe anything. But even when I can't believe it, I know it's true – and I try to believe it."

Edith Nesbit, "The Railway Children"

Photo credit: allposters.com

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, "The Railway Children." One of my favorite childhood books ever, yet it is so little known in the wider world.... Instead we have things like "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and "Harry Potter" to replace it. Humph.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Stephanie, I must admit that I also love Harry Potter. :o)

Buffy said...

I love both of them too, Anna!

It's a lovely quote and just the sort to be comforting to children without being patronising (note that Mother admits that sometimes she gets too sad to believe anything, so it's not pretending that life is all roses).

Stephanie said...

Harry Potter has its virtues, but it still lacks the timelessness that some of the classics (like Railway Children) had. It's been one of my "pleasure reads" as well--I was in England when the seventh one came out and spent the whole train-ride to Scotland perusing its pages. :)

Elizabeth said...

I'd forgotten this quote - thank you for sharing it, dear Anna!

may said...

Mrs T, BBC Radio 7 is serialising The Railway Children until early March.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qxh11/E_Nesbits_The_Railway_Children_Episode_1/

I'm not sure whether you will be able to access it but apparently some BBC radio programmes are available even if you live abroad (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/help/faq/listen_to_radioplayer_abroad.shtml), so I thought that you may wish to try your luck with this one.