Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oznei Haman

I spent a very pleasant morning today making the traditional Purim cookies, Oznei Haman, also known as Hamentashen. I made them with date filling (though any filling can be used), and the dough I used was very simple and nice to work with.

2 1\2 cups flour
1 tbsp. dry yeast
Approx. 1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup warm water
2-3 tbsp. sugar

Knead and let the dough rest for a short while, no more than half an hour. It isn't supposed to rise more than just a little. Roll out and cut circles out of the dough with a cup or glass. Put some filling in the middle of each 
circle, and close the edges towards the middle so that a triangle is formed (push three sides up).


Bake at medium heat for approx. 20 minutes.

Happy Purim to all my Jewish readers! 

11 comments:

"The Smelly Lady" said...

I assume you bake them by the way they look. If so, what temperature and how long? They look yummy!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Oops, I forgot to write the baking time. I updated now.

Kate said...

Thanks for the recipe! My parents' neighbors are Jewish and they always sent us some of these and I loved them!

Lady M said...

Ohhhh - we were just leaning about Purim today (well we already knew the story of Esther, but the celebration thereof). Thank you! I have plenty of dates in the pantry (Young M loves them), so I will have to give this a try tomorrow!

Bethany Hudson said...

Happy Purim, Anna! Those look so good...too bad we're still fasting for another five weeks ;-)

Hannah said...

Anna, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. The story of Esther's life is one of our favorites! I look forward to trying your recipe with my children, probably with an apricot filling since figs are a little harder to come by here.
Blessings,
Hannah

Sheri said...

Anna, one of our dear Jewish friends brought the kids and I these cookies yesterday! She used a blueberry filling and they were really good!

*Hugs*

eliza said...

yeey! Hamantaschen! Could you be a bit more specific about the filling maybe?

Love, Eliza

doubledrudgery said...

Looks good. I love chocolate filling the best, preferably with chunks of real chocolate left in.
I probably should be fasting, like Bethany above (for my figure, not for religious purposes...) - but too many goodies around during Purim.
Oh well, Pesach is around the corner. I usually lose weight then, with so few carbs to eat.
Tammy

Federica said...

Anna, I tried your recipe and the Oznei Haman came out wonderful!!! Ah the joys of Israeli food :) I have the picture up on Facebook if you want to take a peek. Also, I shared some with friends and they loved them. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.

Dena said...

I'm going to try these this year. I'm thinking something with cream cheese and maybe chocolate. Oh..and maybe some peach preserves. I think I'm gaining weight just thinking about it!