Friday, February 5, 2010

Stockpiling


Up until around six months ago, we used to buy in bulk many foodstuffs that can be stored for a long period of time. That includes pasta, rice, canned foods, dry beans, etc. We accumulated quite a nice stockpile of food that was bought at very good prices.

Building and keeping a stockpile is recommended, but of course, it will only work if you have at least some spare cash each week to buy more than you need at the moment. Right now, we keep our grocery shopping to a minimum, and eat a lot from our stockpile. This really helps to reduce the grocery bill.

When things get better, financially, I hope we can replenish our stockpile again. We'll keep an eye on those non-quickly-perishables at good prices, and buy some for immediate use, and some for stockpiling. Some of that stuff can last for years. Just one caveat: each year before Pesach, we need to get rid of the items that are not kosher for Pesach. Last year, it meant giving away a pile of pasta.

There is really something very comforting about knowing that you have a lot of food in your house, food that can tide your family over in tough times. Having a stockpile may also reduce the frequency of shopping, which saves money and time.

Photo credit

11 comments:

Jo said...

I have a stockpile of tinned food and other non-perishables and find it very handy. I do need to go through the items every now and again to check use by dates. I also buy up on other household items (cleaning products, hair shampoo etc..) if I find them considerably reduced in price.

Yes it is a cost saver and comforting:)

Persuaded said...

Just this morning I was reading another blogger's story of how her stockpile of foodstuffs and household supply has helped her family to thrive during a period of almost a year with virtually no income.... and your post too, Anna.

Maybe the Lord is trying to tell me something♥

Kimberly said...

I also try to keep a stockpile of necessities. We have been building that up over, the past 6 months, but a blizzard in Dec., and an ice storm last week, with no power for 5 days, has depleted my supplies.

This weekend my daughters and i are going through the pantry and counting, so i can do a little emergency shopping Mon. morning, before the next snow storm hits..

Sarah R said...

Why would you give away the pasta? I'm curious. Couldn't you just store it elsewhere?

Homemakers Cottage said...

We try to keep a stock pile of non perishable goods, as well. You're right- it can be a challenge during financially "tight" times when you're pinching pennies every month on grocery spending.

Otter Mom said...

I have a small stockpile of food & misc supplies. We live in a part of the US where there are weather issues and have been without power for days, so I have non perishable food & water on hand as well as things we will need including medication and personal supplies. I go through my supplies in the spring & fall, use what is on hand and replace it with newer things. It's just a good idea and also, when I'm low on grocery items I have a ready supply if I need things.

Bethany Hudson said...

Anna- Do you have any non-Jewish friends nearby? I'm sure someone would be willing to "buy" your pasta (and return it later!) if you run into this problem again.

Karen said...

They way my government is running here in the U.S. (on the verge of economic disaster) I am thinking stockpiling is a very very good idea.

Tracy said...

I would like to stckpile too. I'm not sure where to put it. My house is on the small side.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sarah,

It's forbidden to even own chametz during Pesach, no matter where.

Bethany,

There are organized chametz sells every year before Pesach, but we just don't think it's worth bothering for five packs of pasta. :o)

Tracy,

My house is small too and my kitchen is absolutely minuscule. I store my stockpile in my daughter's bedroom. :)

Kari said...

I agree, stockpiling has made a huge difference on our grocery bill! Our goal is to never buy anything at full price, and the resulting savings have surprised even us. Plus there's also the bonus of no last-minute runs to the grocery store because we're out of something...we simply go to our food storage and grab what we need!