Sunday, March 28, 2010

One last (probably) little note before Pesach

Two days ago, I went to bed really late, after I finally cleaned out my refrigerator, gas stove, microwave oven, and some usually forsaken nooks and crannies of the kitchen. By the time I was done my right wrist was aching and I switched to cleaning with my left hand. I was physically very tired, but happy and energized by everything that had been done.

Earlier in that day, I was encouraged and inspired by Shira, who saw me wiping the outside of the refrigerator and very enthusiastically expressed her wish to join and do whatever Mama is doing. I handed her a little clean rug, and to my surprise, she went ahead and actually started wiping the refrigerator too. It was amazing to see how such a little person, not even 15 months old, is so eager to actively participate in whatever is going on at home.

Her enthusiasm was really contagious, and I found myself much more motivated to roll up my sleeves and go do some more cleaning after she was asleep.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to post another update before or during Pesach, so I might be back online only when the holiday is over. Already I must fly and attend to Shabbat preparations. A happy day and week to you all! 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Anna Dear! That is wonderful that Shira is expressing her enthusiasm to share the love of home keeping! I have learned with my daughter (now 10) that the method (and there is one!!!) is to allow the children to assist and share in the work while it is still a challenge to them, then there is satisfaction for them and they are eager! If these tasks are withheld from them and introduced only after they are older there is no fun and enthusiasm and they view these same tasks as boring chores that is Mum's job. My Mother is the other parent of my daughter, since my partner left me when i was pregnant, and in my mothers home my daughter will not lift a finger, my mother gaurds the housework like it is only hers, (and she often feels overwhelmed!) then in my home she see's that my daughter is busy putting away dishes, sorting washing, sweeping and cleaning the toilet! It all comes down to your attitude of introducing these tasks with joy at the right age, and the right age changes with each task! So be on the ball! And listen to the voice within that guides you in your brilliant parenting, your a wonderful woman! My salutations to You!!! Kind Regards, Sita

Rose said...

A happy week to you Anna dear.

Alycia said...

It is wonderful how much little people want to help! Both of my children (20 months and nearly four) love so much to help me with whatever I'm doing that I've purchased tiny brooms, dustpans, and mops for them. It's so wonderful to have a three year old who can put away the silverware and clear the table - and who enjoys doing it! We're growing our own little helpers who will become such valuable contributors to the family in so many ways.

fallenstar80 said...

How sweet!!! My son 15 month old son "helped" me sweep the backyard. He was thrilled to help out mommy!!!!

Amanda said...

Aww, that's so cute Shira wanted to help :) My 21 month old son is always wanting to help me. I always drag a chair beside the sink for him to stand on and help me wash dishes. I also bought him a little dustpan and brush so he can "sweep" and he even has his own little rake for when we're working in the garden. It definitely encourages me and keeps my son out of trouble while I keep the house nice. So many times people describe housecleaning and spending time with your kids as mutually exclusive activities but I see them as integral parts of life at home. They think that either you're either kicking the kids outside so you can clean all day like a neat freak or you ignore all housework so you can do crafts with the kids and join them in playing with blocks. By bringing our children along with us as we do our normal adult work we teach them new skills, a good work ethic, and give them real self esteem by showing how they can contribute to the family.

Jenny said...

Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Just wanted to give you the link to my new blog and let you know I mentioned you on there! Blessings!

http://theproverbs31life.blogspot.com

SweetPeaknits said...

Happy Pessach! The cleaning out is never the fun part, but hope you enjoyed all the baking. I made a fabulous apple and walnut plava this year. Let me know if you want the recipe!

Caroline said...

What a sweet little person you're creating! :)