Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuna fritters


Just a simple recipe I threw together while my hungry husband was on his way home. I think this is the first recipe on my blog that isn't strictly vegetarian. It made for a quick, easy, enthusiastically consumed dinner (you might have noticed that around here, the word "dinner" is usually combined with the words "quick" and "easy" :o))  


The following quantities make about 15 small fritters, but the batch can be easily doubled

1 onion, finely chopped
1 potato, finely grated
1 zucchini, finely grated (can be replaced with a carrot or some pumpkin)
200 gr canned tuna (that's two standard tuna cans around here)
2 eggs
About 1 cup flour (the flour has to hold the liquids and make the mixture firm enough to work with comfortably, so you might need a bit more, or a bit less – see as you go. You should be fine, provided that you add the flour gradually)
Spices to taste (I normally don't add salt to anything containing a fair amount of canned tuna, as the tuna has lots of added salt already)

Mix everything together. Take tablespoonfuls of the mixture, and drop onto a frying pan, then press slightly with the back of the tablespoon. Or alternatively, form balls with your hands and squish them slightly, then place in frying pan.

Fry until golden brown on both sides.

Serve with whatever side dishes your heart desires, preferably a big fresh salad and some baked potatoes. 

13 comments:

Kate said...

Hmmmmm...I'm in the mood for salmon so I might try these with canned salmon!

Kate said...

Sounds like they'd be good for Pesach, too, with matzah meal instead of flour.

Anonymous said...

I make a similar recipe using a 15 ounce can of salmon instead of the tuna and omitting the zucchini. I have never thought to try tuna, but will have to since we almost always have several cans of tuna in the pantry :)

Lina said...

That actually looks really good! And I'm a vegetarian :)

Michelle Potter said...

Mmmm, I LOVE these with salmon. My husband adds chopped bacon -- somewhat less healthy, but SO VERY GOOD! :)

Jamie said...

I do a similar thing with breadcrumbs instead of flour. We also add:
cheese
grated carrot
corn kernels

Also, I boil the potato and dry mash it before adding it.

Penniless Parenting said...

I have a question, Anna. If being a homemaker and the domestic arts hold such a high value to you, what is the appeal in "quick and easy" meals? Why not give it your fullest and spend hours on each meal?
I guess I'm not sure I understand; the women I know in real life that take such pride in being homemakers usually serve three or four course meals, and don't try to do easy.
Me? I value homemaking, try to learn to enjoy my tasks and realize that God wants me to take care of my home, and that serving my family in my home is akin to working in the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.... But I don't do the fancy shmancy meals either. I usually stick with frugal. :-P

Mrs. Anna T said...

Penniless Parenting,

I love to cook and bake; I would love to have several free hours every day to cook elaborate meals. However, with a little one around, Pesach preparations in full swing, and lots of projects to do around the house, I just need to prioritize. So on Shabbat, I serve the "fancy shmancy" meals with lots of side dishes, and during the week, we eat simple. And, yes, frugal. :o)

That's by the way how my husband grew up. Meat once a week, on Shabbat; during the week, the children ate sandwiches at school, and dinner was soup and bread. That's still how my mother-in-law cooks. Lots of vegetable and bean soups during the week, and meat/fish for Shabbat.

At any rate, a simple homemade meal can be healthy and satisfying. It's far better than allowing the convenience of pre-packaged, commercial foods. For a beginner cook such as myself - and yes, I do still consider myself a beginner, as I only started cooking at the age of 21 while ideally, I believe, children should help in the kitchen from a very young age - even a simple homemade meal is a triumph.

Penniless Parenting said...

Aha. Learning to cook at 21 and spending much time with your family and preparing for Pesach is definitely an excuse for going simple and frugal. I happen to love patties as well, but I usually add veggies to mine to stretch the tuna and make it a meal in one.

I cook simpler meals during the week as well, as simpler one or two pot meals usually work out cheaper, and save the fancy shmancy for the two dinners a week that we can have a sit down meal as a family (thanks to my husband's crazy work hours).

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

the recipe looks delicious and I will certainly try that one out! thank you for sharing... I love quick and easy, but healthy and delicious tasting, recipes :)

SusanA

Anonymous said...

Oooh I made these last week to serve as an appetizer for my dinner party. They're a hit. They are heavenly! I didn't use flour and they still hold together well. Dipped in mayonnaise sauce. Yum!

W

Penelope said...

I skimmed through these. But the penniless parenting comment definitely aroused a 'grrrrr'. The woman who can do three course meals every night, keep a great home and give quality time to her kids has android parts. Also.. special meals would lose all that was special if done every day. And finally... dunno who your god is hon, but it is only bent bits of dogma translated with patriarchal interests that ever assigned women such particular roles. Get over yourself!

Penelope said...

ps felicity.... a couple of cans of tuna and some corn, flour and eggs is pretty much all I have left before pay day, so THANKS!