Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ice-cream


Photo courtesy of allposters.com

For a long time, I have looked for a simple recipe for homemade ice-cream, which could be whipped up quickly and without an ice-cream maker. To no avail: every sort of ice cream I tried came out hard as stone after a few hours in the freezer. Until finally, yesterday I stumbled upon a winner. My husband and I both loved it – my husband even went as far as to say this was the most delicious ice-cream he ever tasted.

The original recipe can be found here, on this great website which most of you can't enjoy because you don't read Hebrew. You can also find a picture if you follow the link – I didn't put in a picture of my ice-cream because, to be frank, my choice of a freezing tray wasn't very successful – it was too wide, and my finished product looked more like a flat cake than anything else. Tasted wonderfully, but wasn't very impressive to look at!   

So, here goes. The following only makes about four servings (for the ice-cream lovers, who can't help but do justice to this wonderful dessert), so next time I plan to double the quantities:

1 cup of whipping cream (or a standard-size container of 250 ml)
2 tbsp instant pudding powder
1\2 cup milk
4 tbsp walnut, chocolate or halva spread – I used chocolate. I think it's possible to experiment and use mashed berries or any type of unsalted nut butter, or any other flavor you choose.
2 tbsp liqueur or brandy (I used banana liqueur). The alcohol plays an important part, as it prevents the ice-cream from freezing solid.

Whip the cream and instant pudding until firm. Stir in milk, chocolate spread (or whatever you choose to use), and liqueur/brandy. Then beat it all up some more with an electric beater until you get smooth cream. Pour it into a container and pop into the freezer for several hours or overnight.

Don't forget to scrub out the remaining cream from the bowl and eat it together with your little one(s). :o)   

12 comments:

Luci said...

Yum! Sounds delicious - we'll have to try it here!

Blessings,
Luci
http://atranquilheart.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Thank you for the recipe, this sounds really good. I'm going to try it later. You probably already know this, but the texture of ice cream is improved when it is stirred every so often while freezing.

Claudia

Jamie said...

Apparently egg is key in keeping most ice creams soft when frozen.
I wonder if the alcohol is what is helping it not freeze in to a rock in this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I wonder is it true that instant pudding you don't need to cook? Hm... did you maybe precooked it in milk before shaking?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Claudia,

Yes, I do know that stirring improves ice-cream texture. However, I specifically was looking for a recipe where the texture would be good *without* stirring - something I can just pop into the freezer and forget about it. This is just the magical recipe. :o)

Jamie,

Yes, raw eggs make ice-cream soft, but I have an uncertainty about eating raw eggs - salmonella and all, you know. So, I was looking for something that does not contain raw eggs. :o)

Anon,

No, you don't need to cook instant pudding. It comes in a powder and dissolves easily in any liquid.

Persuaded said...

Wowsers... I didn't even know it was possible to make ice cream without a special ice-cream freezer/machine (which, incidentally, we do not have!) I am going to try this one, for sure. Thank you so much for sharing...

Jessica said...

can you leave out the "spread" for vanilla icecream?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Jessica, to be honest, I'm not sure. If you try it, let me know how it turns out, OK?

Anonymous said...

As a pregnant woman, shouldn't you not be consuming any alcohol?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon,

The amount of alcohol, per serving, is insignificant here. I think the sip of wine I weekly drink at kiddush (which I did throughout my first pregnancy by the way) probably has more alcohol.

Morag said...

This would of course also make popscicles by pouring into small paper cups and inserting flat wooden sticks.

putra said...

thanks for share your recipe.