Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It's so nice to simply be home

Pesach is over, and things are slowly starting to fall back into routine. During the holiday, I took an almost complete computer break, and even though I have missed being in touch with the wide world, it made for a very refreshing change to have the days flowing in such a sweet and quiet rhythm. Also, as our custom requires, I skipped all chores which weren't absolutely necessary, which means there's a lot of catching up to do now. A week without doing laundry is as much as we can handle. :o)

Some friends wrote and expressed their wish to see a photo of the Seder table we attended, and/or photos of our Shabbat/holiday table. So I thought I'd explain that, as Orthodox Jews, we do not operate electric appliances on Shabbat and holidays, and time and space do not permit me to set the table in advance, so for now, taking such photos is beyond my reach. There are many sample photos of Jewish Seder tables on the web, if you care to look.

We stayed mostly close to home during Pesach, because some of us didn't feel very well, but we had a great time nevertheless - we are blessed to live in an area where lovely corners are abundant if you just poke your nose out of the door.

Some photos from a lovely spring walk.

And some interesting looking rocks found outside.  
It's so nice to simply be home today, to do little odds and ends around here, to poke in and out and be in peace. To do all necessary work in a steady and slow rhythm, with my little one right beside me (and another little one in my belly), to enjoy spring, to see fresh leaves and flowers adorning our little garden, to observe the tiny grapes springing out of the grape vine. The beauty of it all is truly indescribable.

I have plenty of ideas which I hope to share with you all, as time allows, and countless emails I so wish to reply to. Thank you for your patience and understanding if it takes me a while to write back. It might take time, but I do plan to get back to all who wrote to me.

8 comments:

SweetPeaknits said...

Looks like you've got lovely weather there at the moment. Great for the lovely walks. Cant wait to see photos of the grapevine.

Eric and Hannah Avery said...

So glad you all had a good Pesach. Isn't it lovely that Spring is here! It is such a happy time! Blessings.

-Hannah

Mary R. said...

Oh, I would love to go there someday.

momto9 said...

I enjoy the slow steady rythm feel of your posts just as you describe your day to be. It's very refreshing!

Serena said...

Such lovely photos. Every time you post a picture, I have the deepest longing to visit Israel come over me. And, yes, simply being at home is so nice. ;)

Rose said...

It's lovely to see you online after a happy Pesach Anna dear.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I love coming to your blog, which I find so encouraging and inspiring. You have a way of bringing a sense of dignity and beauty to homemaking- which is very welcome! Thank you.

Rosemary

Analytical Adam said...

I hope you had a very happy Passover Mrs. Anna. Got a little break from work.

I spent the Seder with my Uncle and it was nice. I thought I would share with you something that I did question at the Seder and does fit in with this blog I think.

This from the Haggadah.

"Go forth and inquire what Laban, the Syrian, intended to do to our father Jacob Pharoh decreed the destruction of THE MALES ONLY. while Laban designed to root out the whole."

(My comments: I find it interesting that the Rabbi's then were making it our well Pharoh wanted to kill THE MALES ONLY. His reasoning wasn't because he cared about Jewish women. He did this because to destroy the people and it is also more politically correct to kill men. It was no different then Laban who focused his energy on destroying Jacob.)

The Rabbi's who wrote the Haggadah were downplaying the fact that Pharoh only wanted to kill the boys as so what you still have the girls and so we don't have the boys. I think the Rabbi's are really underplaying the fact that Pharoah ONLY WANTED TO KILL THE BOYS as somehow not as bad as Lavan which isn't really true as Lavan tried to destroy Jacob mostly and through this destroy the Jewish nation as the Jewish nation can not survive as a Matriarchy.

I asked this question among a few others at the Seder as I did have time to go through the portion that you read about the escape from Egypt.

Glad your back Mrs. Anna even though I am sure it was great to get away from the internet and the computer for a while.