Sunday, May 9, 2010

Butter cookies


Butter cookies. Who doesn't love them? Nice and simple, with a cup of tea, coffee or cocoa, or with a tall glass of cold milk, they are just perfect in every way. Right now I'm enjoying some of these beauties with a cup of blackberry tea.

I took the recipe from here, a cooking website run by a lovely mother and grandmother who makes me so happy I can read Hebrew. It seems that lately, all my kitchen novelties come from there.

So, without further ado… a good, simple recipe for butter cookies (makes about 40). If you have your favorite butter cookies recipes, please feel free to share!

2 1\2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
200 gr. Butter
2\3 cup sugar (it says 1 cup in the original recipe, but trust me, this is plenty).
1 egg
I added grated peel of 1 lemon.

Knead until you get nice, workable dough. You may need to add some liquid (milk or water, whatever you prefer). As much as I tried, I couldn't get my dough to a texture which would be comfortable for rolling out in the way I'm used to, so I just formed cookies with my hands and placed them on a cookie sheet. However, later the lady who posted the recipe tipped me off by telling I should have rolled the dough between two sheets of baking paper. I'll remember that for next time!

I decorated each cookie with half a peanut, and baked for 20 minutes at medium heat, just until the cookies were nice and crisp on the outside and still tender on the inside. 

6 comments:

AnneMarie said...

It's Mother's Day here in the US, Mrs. Anna, so I want to wish you a very happy Mother's Day :) I know little Shira and the one you have on the way are truly blessed to have you for a mother!

Rose said...

Nice recipe and nice looking biscuits Anna. I used to have the same problem with biscuits then I learned to do chill the mixed dough for 15 to 30 minutes. Much easier! And they cut easily too.

Rose said...

PS I wish I could send you some of our limes but customs on both ends would -- rightly -- say no. Our dwarf lime is producing about 30 a week.

Hilde said...

Your cookies look wonderful!I do quite a lot of cookie baking, but I never bother with rollong between baking paper or clingfilm. If the dough can be rolled out without sticking, I´ll do it, if not, I just form cookies like you did.

Rachel said...

I made these.....yum!! I like your recipes.

Tracy's corner said...

Sounds good. Love hot tea and cookies