Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Hidden Art of Homemaking

Some of you have surely noticed my wish list of books (which will soon be updated) on the sidebar of my blog. A book that I have long wanted to read, which appears on my wish list, is Edith Schaeffer's The Hidden Art of Homemaking. Well, a very kind and thoughtful reader of my blog, Joanna, just happened to have a copy of the book she didn't need anymore – and she very generously offered to send it to me by mail.

I am now about halfway through The Hidden Art of Homemaking, and enjoying it tremendously. This little book is full of wonderful practical ideas for anyone, to make the best they can in their homes with the time, materials, energy and budget they have on hand. It's the kind of book which makes you want to go and make a lovely centerpiece for your dining table, write an inspiring entry in your homemaking journal, or to go and stick your fingers into soil, and plant, weed, or prune.

I do have to say this, though. The book is written by a Christian and for Christians. For me to glean from it, as a Jew, I had to skip more than a few parts, and only focus on what's practical and useful for me.

In the photo above: a simple centerpiece of two candles on a tray, on our multi-purpose living room table. It was a patchy day today, with quite a lot of rain in the morning – perfect for lighting candles. It takes only such a little effort, and really brightens up a room in such a lovely way.

10 comments:

Serena said...

It's a great book, isn't it? So inspiring! My mother-in-law gave me a copy a few months before I got married, and it's quite possibly my favorite homemaking book!

Ganeida said...

I loved reading this book ~ & others from this family ~ but for us many of her ideas were impractical. I found candles [which I love] & small children were *not* a good mix. However I think her main idea of thinking creatively about homemaking is excellent.

Rose said...

That centrepiece is delightful Anna. I hope you are well.

Agenda ibu rumah tangga said...

I love this book very much..
It's interesting to know that you and your family lives in Israel.
We long to visit Israel..
:)

Mrs.Rabe said...

It is a very good book. I like how she relates God being the creator and since we are all made in His image, we were made to be creators too!

cuBrandyH said...

Long time reader, but this is my first comment. I just wanted to say that I think it is great that even though the book was Christian you are able to see some value in it. I do the same with your blog... I am not Jewish and I even disagree with some of your views, but I can feel genuine thought, intelligence, and warmth in your writing and so I keep reading, I take the good/the useful/and the genuinely nice intent and I chalk the rest up to a difference in lifestyle and opinion. I think the world would be a better place if more people were able to do that. Also - Best wishes for your new baby and whole family.

Cheerios in My Shoes said...

Its all about practicality, regardless of our cultural and spiritual backgrounds; those two elements make us each unique, so not to cast those aside. I'm German and a Catholic but find it hard to absorb some of the materials put out that are "Christian based." Therefore, I do like you; I glean what is practical and of use to me, setting aside the rest as it may click more so for someone else. I stick to my guns when I believe we are all here to serve a purpose, to learn from one another, and to appreciate each moment we have for those "priceless" times.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Ganeida, what I love about this book is precisely that you don't have to implement *every* idea in it - but it does give an abundance of wonderful, variable ideas, some of which surely anyone can find useful and inspiring!

wendylf said...

The Hidden Art of Homemaking has long been one of my favorite books. Edith Schaeffer has some wonderful insights into making our home a ministry.

Like others who have commented I have gleaned lots from your blog and appreciate so much what you have to say.

CappuccinoLife said...

A friend gave me that book last week. Looks like the same printing, too. :) Love it!