Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pizza


Someone asked me about the recipe we use for our homemade pizza, so I thought today would be a good opportunity to share. I always make our pizza at home. I have found out that it's very easy, not to mention cheaper and healthier, than buying outside.

I shared a recipe for no-yeast pizza crust here, but lately we have been very fond of using yeast-based dough – this one, which is perfect for just about everything – including rolls, pita bread, and pizza crust.

I like to roll out my crusts thinly. I usually have plenty of leftover dough, so I roll out as many pizza crusts as I can and tuck them away into the freezer. It's wonderful for a quick meal. A couple of days ago, it so happened that we had to spend half the day going out and about, and when I came home I was tired and there was a lot to catch up on – and I was very happy about those ready pizza crusts sitting in my freezer. All I had to do was whip up some tomato sauce and add toppings and cheese.

Most often I use the tomato sauce recipe I shared here. It contains quite a lot of onions, which we like (we're big onion fans – our little family gets through no less than ten onions a week!). If you don't like onions in your pizza sauce, you can of course use a different recipe.

Our favorite toppings are olives, mushrooms and corn; to each their own, of course – feel entirely free to use your imagination! I use whatever cheese I happen to have on hand. The important thing is that it's real cheese, not like the stuff you usually get on store-bought pizzas.

I pop the pizza into the oven just until the moment the cheese starts to bubble on top, and the crust is nice and golden at the bottom. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes at medium heat.

By the way, you can also freeze your pizza when it's ready. This way it will be available when you really have no time to cook. I plan to do that before I have this baby, among other freezable meals I intend to try.  

It can be a delicious dinner on a spring or summer night, with a nice big salad and lemonade from freshly squeezed lemons. Yum!   

4 comments:

momto9 said...

My kids LOVE pizza!!! It's an all time favorite. Does your little one eat it too?

Mrs.Rabe said...

We love to make our own pizza. Because they are so easy to make, I have never made extra crusts to put in the freezer or even to put a whole precooked homemade pizza in the freezer! Great ideas!

Thanks for sharing!

Kristy Quinn said...

Yummy! :)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Momto9,

Yes, Shira will eat just about anything, and pizza is one of her favorites!