Thursday, July 22, 2010

Eggplant salad/dip



Various eggplant salads are a very common side dish around here. There are plenty of store-bought varieties, but I prefer to make my own. We tried many recipes until we found one which is in our opinion a winner.

Take 2 large eggplants, pop in the oven and bake until very soft and tender. This is really important. An eggplant which is under-baked is difficult to mash and has unpleasant structure. You may want to puncture them with a fork in several places prior to baking, to prevent splitting of the skin. Baking time varies according to your oven and the thickness of the eggplant. I bake mine approximately one hour at medium heat (I turn them once in the middle of the process so they will be baked more evenly). Once eggplants are ready, their skin should be crispy and slightly charred and fork should come effortlessly through them. They also lose quite a lot of their volume.

While your eggplants are in the oven, take:
1 large onion or 2 small ones, and
1 large bell pepper or 2 small ones, and sautee them in a large pan.
When onions and peppers are nearly ready, add:
3-4 cloves of crushed garlic
3-4 tablespoonfuls of tomato paste or tomato sauce
Salt, pepper, lemon juice, other spices to taste.

When your eggplants are ready, place them in a bowl and let cool. Then peel the skin  - skin should come off easily if the eggplant is properly baked - and mash with a fork. Mashing, too, should be easy if your eggplants spent enough time in the oven.

Then add onion and peppers mix to the mashed eggplants, and voila – your eggplant salad is ready. From my experience, it easily keeps in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.   

11 comments:

Bethany said...

This sounds pretty tasty. Do you eat it the way it is, with a fork? Or do you serve it on bread or chips or something? I've never had mashed eggplant before.

Leanne said...

My husband and I just started "eating clean" this week, and this recipe could not be more timely for us :o). I'm thinking it would be delicious to toast up some pita bread to use as "chips" to dip in it. Thanks for sharing!!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Bethany,

It can be great on sandwiches, as a dip, or as a side dish of itself.

Luci said...

Yum. That looks like it would be especially delicious with pita chips! :)

Blessings,
Luci
a tranquil heart

Lisa said...

Thank you for the recipe! It looks so yummy.

Katie V. said...

Looks delicious. I have a dear friend, an elderly Jewish lady from Morrocco who has cooked a similar dish as this...and I loved it. I must try making it for my husband. Are there any particular spices that you use? God bless!

Rose said...

Thank you Anna, that looks lovely and quite different to the eggplant dip recipe I currently have.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Katie, lately I just use salt and a little pepper, as I have developed slight heartburn during pregnancy and this causes somewhat of an aversion to spicy foods. :)

sistergirl said...

Thanks for the recipe I just came across your blog. I just put eggplant in my garden and have never even eaten it. I was wondering how I would try to cook it. Thanks

Gombojav Tribe said...

I just picked up some lovely eggplant at the local farmer's market this morning. I think we'll have a cold supper tomorrow with eggplant, hummus, some pita, cheese, olives, and a bottle of wine. That's my favorite kind of dinner, especially when eaten outside. Perfect for a summer evening.

Coffee Catholic said...

I love eggplant! I'll have to look and see if you have a tag for your food posts so I can lok them up later, when my sister is here. We are so overwhelmed with these three kids + the farm, and me not recovering my health that my sister is coming to give us a hand. And to spoil her nefew and neices!
You're getting on!! Won't be long now!!